MENS SENIORS (thanks to Jake Ward)

OGs return to the winner’s list on Pivot Saturday

Glorious late-autumn weather greeted the players as Marcellin rolled into a sundrenched Como Park on Saturday.  Matches against the Eagles have always been hard-fought, so the players were under no illusions that they needed to get back to their best to return to winning ways.  At least they knew they could rely on plenty of support, with the first Pivot Lunch for 2021 being held in Pavilion to coincide with the belated 30th anniversary of the dual 1990 Premierships.

Christian Hatzis made a welcome return from his injury suffered against UHS-VU at the start of the month, whilst Rupert Kemp and Paul Dreher also made timely returns to add some much needed Senior experience.  Finally, another one of the U23 squadron made the step up to senior football this week as Nicholas Lucena was handed his debut and instantly looked comfortable at the higher level.  Nick became the sixth player to have played Senior football from the U23s this season.

The players made a fast start, with Jack Sheridan in particular stamping his dominance at the stoppage.  However, the players couldn’t take advantage of the early chances, as the game settled into an arm wrestle.  Goals from John Simson and Scott Dixon gave the OGs an early lead, however Marcellin improved throughout the quarter and a couple of late goals meant they took a 12 point lead into the first change.

Two early goals in the second quarter saw Marcellin’s lead stretch to a game high 23 points.  However, unlike the previous home game against Monash, the players were able to stem the flow of pressure and a quick response from Matthew Bird helped pull the deficit back to a manageable 16 points at half time.   Coach Nathan Brown spoke positively during the main change, with the clear message that the game was there to be won.

With Browny’s words of encouragement still ringing in their ears, the players came flying out of the blocks in the third quarter, winning the clearances and getting the ball quickly into the forward 50.  However, the players couldn’t fully capitalise on their early dominance, missing numerous chances with some wayward kicking for goal.  Nevertheless, goals from Christian Hatzis, Seb Hutley and a great snap from Liam Higgins meant that the 16 point half time deficit would turn into a 9 point three quarter time lead.

This lead would become 15 points early in the final quarter, with another Christian Hatzis goal following a great run and exchanging of handpasses between Connor Dixon and William Sloss.  Whilst Marcellin quickly responded with a goal of their own, some strong defending coupled with some composure in possession meant that the players were able to see the remaining time out to record a deserved 15 point win.

Jack Sheridan dominated the ruck battle all day to be deservedly awarded best-on-ground.  Shez has added other strings to his bow this season with his pack marking and pressure around the ground becoming features of his play and these were on show on Saturday with numerous contested marks taken around the ground.  Elsewhere, John Simson ran riot in the midfield, collecting 50 possessions in what was undoubtedly his best game of the season so far, whilst Christian Hatzis added another 4 goals to his tally for the season in his comeback from injury.  We all know how unplayable Christian can be on his day and hopefully we can see him continue to see him at his enigmatic best throughout the middle part of the season.

Spirits were high post-game as the rooms echoed to the dulcet, albeit questionable, tones of John Denver.  With many of the 1990 Premiership players showing no signs of slowing down from the earlier Pivot Lunch, the Pavilion was rocking on Saturday night.  There aren’t many better places to be than a footy club on a Saturday evening after a come-from-behind win, as the vicissitudes of life are replaced with the joys of success.


WOMENS SENIORS (thanks to Alison Youlten)

Another beautiful Melbourne day was the background for the long ride down to Beaumaris, as the Oggetts vibes were high after last weeks come from behind win at Como. After a big week on the track preparing for a small ground and “pack football” play, a late venue change meant that the large round ground at Banksia Reserve was to play into the OGs advantage - a good omen.

Stephanie Topp was tasked with the job of stopping Beaumaris leading goal kicker, while Sam Davis and Amy Halaby were pulling on the Hoops for their first official Senior debut.

An emotional day on both sides of the ground, the Oggetts came out clean from the first tap, but unfortunately weren’t able to convert into points on the board. Clare Horsfall worked hard in the centre using her backlog of skill and experience, but a slow start from the OGs girls made it difficult to capitalise. Meanwhile the Sharks, who were able to wrangel half a dozen free kicks in only the first quarter, notched up 5 scoring opportunities, although inaccuracy providing the OGs jumpers a small relief. 

Quarter 2 things started to look up, and a quick snap goal from a stoppage in our forward pocket was the result of good team work and desperation, but it wasn’t enough to rattle the “Shark Park” just yet. With the defensive line holding strong, led as always by the effervescent and in charge GRule, Brooke Mckay and Soph Joubert were able to command their respective flanks by providing BOG type play all day. The OGs went into halftime feeling like there was more to give and the opportunity to prove why we are a dominant squad.

After a rousing half time speech from assistant coach Ron Luff, with Ally Kirkwood focusing us on the positives, the girls were ready to head back out on the suspiciously round oval to begin the second half. 

Again the girls started with intent with an adjusted line up that proved to be a success. Vikki Tan, Mimi Bones and Ella Scott were able to push the OGs back in contention each with a goal, after a blistering start from the forward line. The request for going in hard to get the ball was delivered, as OGs jumpers seemed to surround the ball everywhere it went, while the Sharks struggled  with the sheer size of their not usual home ground.
Heads were high at ¾ time as the taste of success was well within reach. After another spirited speech by captain Kath Dunn, the girls were ready to step it up, yet again.

Quarter 4 started with a bang with another goal from Tan, and the ever consistent Laura Hallam, was able to stretch her legs and show the Sharks just how you dominate on a big ground. Bones used her strength and was first to the ball any chance she could get, with Celia Cody moving through the centre to show her athleticism and grace. As the timer counted down, there was a tense feeling in the air, as OGs were doing everything and anything to hold on to their slim lead. The game sealer came from the boot of North Melbourne VFL recruit Halaby who was strong all day, showing her experience and skill.
As the final siren sounded, a wave of relief and excitement filled the ground as the Oggetts provided another heart stopping come from behind win to prove to the league that the girls in Hoops are here to play. 


MENS RESERVES (thanks to the Tom 'Echuca Bazooka' Wilson)

It was a beautiful morning down at Como Park - sunny, zero rain, freshly mown grass and the boys were eager for another win.  Big Joe Kemp set the scene early advising the boys that it was “his day” and he was gonna snag 6 - he only managed the 1.

Quarter 1 began and the OGS started slowly with Marcellin kicking the first two goals of the game.  However, the OGS were able to quickly gain back momentum due to a few pieces of brilliance from their small forwards (namely Tom “the Echuca Bazooka” Wilson and Will “Daicos” Simson).  Accurate goal kicking from speedster and new found superstar Ollie Snow was also exactly what the OGS needed to take a healthy lead into quarter time.

Quarter 2 was a story of solid inside 50 entries from the OGS, the majority of which came from our big ruckman Cam Sherwin who all of the sudden has a freakish right foot kick.  The OGS put a healthy gap between themselves and Marcellin in Quarter 2 with the highlight being Ed Ratcliffe snagging one in his return from injury.

Half time saw coach, Colby O’Brien give a few boys a well-deserved rev up and Harry McDonald drinking some delicious espresso milks to get himself ready for a big second half.

Quarter 3 was one to remember for our backline who stood up strongly against a hungry Marcellin who were trying to get themselves back in the game. The backlines ability to rebound Marcellin’s attacks and provide running men Bryce Wheatley and Ollie Snow an opportunity to run back towards the OGS goal was a highlight of the day.  Also a few side steps and clean ball use from the Echuca Bazooka led to multiple scoring opportunities which meant the OGS took a 57 point lead into 3 quarter time.

Quarter 4 continued with backmen Charlie Hawkins and Tim Hosking providing run from defence to link up and rebound strongly.  Tim Hosking even managed to sneak forward and kick himself a beautiful running goal from 55-60 metres out.  Harry Stephens rounded out a great game with more spoils, gut running and halving big marking contests.  The final siren sounded with the OGS happy to walk away with a 67 point win and also marking the milestone of 7-0.

The post-match was filled with a lot of excitement, however, the mood was dampened when Nick “Pies” Morwood was caught eating a sausage roll upstairs making the team question why we really call him pies.



UNDER 23's 

Saturday morning saw the undefeated Under 23s take on the Melbourne University Blues.  Thanks to a cold night before, a frosty dew rested on top of Como Park, gearing the first quarter to be a slippery affair.  The first quarter saw both teams rely on quick kicks off the ground and strong tackling.  Despite an uncharacteristically slow start, the U23s managed to stay ahead at the break 13 points to 7.

Going into the second quarter, a dominant midfield partnership from James Green and Will Townson in the opening minutes galvanised a strong team resurgence, seeing the boys pile on four goals in as many minutes.  Recovering from the initial slow start, the boys managed to regain their composure and play the aggressive and effective style of football the Old Geelong faithful have come to know and love.

Uni Blues attacking prowess was mostly halted for the rest of the game with defensive duo Mike Mortimer and Will Foster providing a stone wall in the backline.  Their intercept marks and rebounding abilities allowed midfielders Bailey Austin, James Green and Matthew Oates to run the show, delivering penetrating balls into the forward line.

The second half was mostly typified by well-timed and relentless leading by the forwards.  Alex Crowe, the competitions leading goal scorer, once again showed why he is the best forward in the competition, finishing the day with six goals.  Spencer Wells also threw his name into the ring for best on ground, scoring two goals in the final quarter.  Lasting, heeding coach Mickey’s prayers, Bailey Austin took arguably the mark of the competition, leading head and shoulders over an unlucky Uni Blues player.

All in all, the U23s maintained their undefeated streak, well and truly positioning themselves for premiership contention.


MENS THIRDS (thanks to Jake Ward)

The Thirds boys grabbed their passports and headed for what seemed half way across the country to play the winless Ivanhoe.  The boys arrived firing and ready to go with the opportunity of coming home with the four points and another win notched under the belt. 

With Captain Zach Carroll and on field leader Rhett Nicholas giving the boys their final rev up before they went out for battle, the footy gods were sure to be with the OGs.  However, it didn’t start exactly how the boys planned with Ivanhoe coming out and kicking three goals to our zero, as the Thirds weren’t able to take their chances, kicking four behinds.  It didn’t take much for the boys to start a comeback and with all the talk surrounding Sam Hanlon and if he will be able to back up his performance from last week, he sure didn’t disappoint having the ball on a string and racking up 15 touches in the second quarter.  The OGs went into the half only down by two points and could really start to imagine how good those beers will go down after a great win.

Wasn’t meant to be with Ivanhoe deciding to tag Nic Farrell out of the game and after that they just simply outplayed us, kicking four goals to zip and unfortunately that proved to be enough as Old Ivanhoe got the result, beating OGs by 13 points.

Special mention to Ed Johnstone who was BOG for the day showcasing his skills, Sam Malone contributing 2 goals for the day and a few big contested grabs and lastly Zach Carroll showing that you just get better with age, providing some great run and carry up the guts.

Share us on Facebook              Share us on Google +       View our linked in page