MENS SENIORS (thanks to Jake Ward) 

Youthful OGs no match for experienced Ormond

The OGs Men’s Seniors and Reserves ventured down to the tight confines of EE Gunn Reserves last weekend for another Premier C summit meeting, this time against Ormond.  EE Gunn has been somewhat of a graveyard for the OGs in recent years across all Divisions, so it was great to see Colby’s Reserves continue their undefeated start to the season and notch up a hard-fought win in the early match.  However, a long awaited Senior win will be another year away at least as the Men’s Seniors were unfortunately no match for an Ormond side featuring plenty of AFL experience, including 178 game and two-time premiership Hawthorn defender Matt Suckling.

With the Club starting to suffer more soft-tissue damage than a pack of Kleenex during a Melbourne winter, there were plenty of changes to the starting line-up.  Missing out due to injury this week were Sam Hooper and Rupert Kemp, however Jack Sheridan was able to return having recovered from his ankle complaint.  In came Pat Pekin for his Senior debut, having transferred to the OGs this year having previously played Senior football for Portland in the Hampden league, as well as Matthew Bird who has been banging in the goals for the 2s this season.

Whilst disappointing, the aforementioned injuries presented a great opportunity to give a couple of players from the all-conquering U23s their first Senior appearances for 2021.  Toby Lever and Bailey Austin both had a taste of Premier B football in 2019 and both came back into the Senior side on the back of some strong recent performances in the U23s, whilst Will (Wilbur) Stephenson came into the side to make his Senior debut for the OGs, and immediately noted the step up in size and pressure at the Senior level.  With the Senior side featuring 5 players who had played U23 football this season, as well as another 7 players who would be eligible to play, the Senior side took on a particularly youthful appearance this week, with an average age of just 23. 

The players made a positive start despite kicking against the moderate breeze and had a couple of early chances to put on some scoreboard pressure.  Thereafter, the big bodied Ormond midfield took control of the contest and started to put the OGs defence, ably led by George Chisholm, under plenty of aerial pressure.  However, a goal against the run of play by Connor Dixon gave the players something to build on as Ormond took a four goal lead into the first change, and there was plenty of positive messaging from Browny with the prospect of kicking with the assistance of the wind in the second.

The wind strongly favouring the northern end of the ground seemed to ease during the second quarter, as the players found the defence of Ormond tough to crack.  However, a couple of quick goals from Toby Lever started to chisel away at the Ormond lead.  Nevertheless, despite the best efforts of the OGs midfield, which seemed to have the better of the clearance battle, Ormond managed to put on another 5 goals in the second quarter to take a 42 point lead into the main break.  Alas this theme continued in the second half as the experienced Ormond side took full control of the proceedings, with the left foot of Matt Suckling becoming particularly influential.  Ormond would go on to win to the tune of 93 points on what was a pretty tough afternoon for the Senior side.

Matt Kirkwood was given the not-insignificant role of trying to stop Matt Suckling and ably stuck to his role all day to be judged the OGs best.  Similarly, Liam Higgins was given a shutdown role on former Melbourne and Collingwood midfielder Simon Buckley and successfully managed to negate his influence in the second half.  Elsewhere, Lochie Radcliffe put in another positive performance showcasing his pace and kicking ability, whilst Toby Lever carried on his recent goalscoring form registering another 3 in an impressive display.

The OGs return to Como Park this Saturday to face Marcellin in a must-win game to coincide with the first Pivot Lunch for Season 2021.  After two heavy defeats, it will be another big test for the players to prove their mettle and hopefully in front of a passionate home crowd, they can bounce back with a win.


WOMENS SENIORS (thanks to Lucy Rourke)

“Severe weather conditions” headlined our phones for Melbourne’s Saturday forecast, accompanied by a ground report by Jimmy Wright at 8am, making the teams aware that Lady Como is under a nice 3cm layer of rain.

This wouldn’t stop the Oggettes and their determination to get up. Following a disappointing 1-point loss last week, the girls were hungry for the W against Monash Blues.

Kicking towards the club rooms first up where stood all of the OGs supporters, energies were high and the girls were ready for the first ball up. Alison Youlten set the tone with a strong tap and game plan with her mids, coming in with fresh legs after a head concussion, we saw Steph Topp dominating down in the forward 50 and Vicky Tan crumbing the ball.

Second quarter provided some scoreboard competition, but Milla Bornas in with her first senior game for the season was adamant to change this by acting on coach Coops’ words and continually “roosting” the ball into our 50 throughout the match. Marginally down by 1  point, heads were still held somewhat high with hope when walking off for the half-time huddle.

The Oggettes were well and truly painted in mud by third quarter. Every individual playing their role including Emma Morrison and Mimi Bones with their fantastically fierce tackles left, right and centre. New to Old Geelong and coming over from North Melbourne VFL, Camilla “Moo” Taylor, played an exceptional first game getting up for the mark and bringing a level of confidence like we’ve never seen.

Before the girls went out for their last efforts in the final quarter, captain, Kath Dunn, spoke with wisdom, ambition and confidence, which gave a domino affect on every single senior girl. This chat gained many positive outcomes with our shining star, Georgie Rule, kicking her very first goal. The final 3 minutes remaining on the clock positioned OGs down by 2 points, this had the clubhouse and sidelines on absolute tenterhooks. Celia Cody saved the day by kicking a goal that won the game.

“This was one of the most exciting games I’ve ever coached and witnessed.” Coach, David Cooper.

Special thanks to all helpers and family & friends that came along to our supporters day. Also wishing a speedy recovery to Liv Gleeson who had her surgery on Monday.


MENS RESERVES (thanks to Joe Kemp)

With the promise of game day rain looming all week, it was a welcome surprise when the Old Geelong 2’s turned up to Ormond’s home ground at E.E. Gunn reserve with the sun sitting in clear skies. However, the joyousness from the lack of rain was immediately offset by the bitter cold, strong winds running straight up the ground. These winds would play a large role in the game to come.

Old Geelong were coming off five straight wins and so felt confident as ever coming into round 6 but the message from Coach Colby ‘self-proclaimed GOAT’ O’Brien came loud and clear, “No complacency, Ormond are a strong side and will punish any mistakes we make”. For the first quarter, Old Geelong had the wind, but due to inaccuracy in front of goal and a strong defence from Ormond, were only able to come into quarter time with a three goal lead (Ormond having not scored at all). Xav ‘Blue and’ Blackley led the charge all day with his intensity at the contest, sending an Ormondian off on a stretcher with one of the biggest (and legal) hits of the season.

The second quarter saw Ormond kick with the wind. They showed their home ground advantage and experience in the wind with long accurate kicks from outside the 50m arc sailing through the big sticks. Old Geelong conversely showed their lack of experience, with kicks up the wing and out of the back line often falling short, out of bounds or into the arms of the opposition. By the main break, Ormond had kicked their way back within 7 points.

The second half of the game saw the OG 2’s come into their own, with some stand out performances around the ground. Paul ‘Dr’ Dreher (who was on loan from the 1’s) played dominantly in the centre, regularly imparting his extensive knowledge on the rest of the team and leading by example. Sam ‘Freddy Cigs’ Clements took intercept mark after intercept mark, leading the rebounds back up the ground in a performance that is becoming more than the norm for him. Bryce ‘Kellogg’s’ Wheatley kicked two great goals and was strong through the forward line all day. Hugo ‘FF’ Steinfort was the rock in the hard place down in the backline. Looking more and more agile every week, his performance looks to only be improving each game.

The game ended with a final score of OGS 7.11-53 to Ormond 4.5-29. A relatively low scoring game due to the weather conditions but one that the OG 2’s will have learnt a lot from moving forward. That is the 6th win in a row for Old Geelong and they will be sure to be hungry for their 7th this weekend against Marcellin at Como Park.


WOMENS RESERVES (thanks to Georgie Perrignon)

Back at our home ground ‘Lake’ Como, the Ressie girls take on 2nd on the ladder, the Monash Blues. Having both only lost to Melbourne Uni, it was bound to be a close one to show who was the better side (OGS of course). 

One goal was scored in the first quarter by our very own Jazzie, however, Monash came back strong in the second quarter leaving us with only a 2 point lead at half time. 

After a few of Ramma’s half time inspirational quotes we came out powering in the 3rd, booting 3 goals for the quarter. A massive bump by Em Hattie saw a Monash player go flying through our goal line and Sam Davis finished it off with a goal. 

Not even the wet conditions could slow KR down with the Monash players struggling to keep up with her. A stand out for the day, even managing to snag a goal and somehow have no mud on her like the rest of us!

We were lucky enough to have Soph Batten and Jessie Gleeson back in the team. Both adding that next level intensity that kept us in the game. 

Issy Fry, Caz Edwards, Abbey Allsopp and Vic Wetherall kept it tight in the back line, creating many turnovers as Monash attempted to get the ball into their forward 50. 

In the dying minutes of the final quarter, the ball ended up in Monash’s forward pocket. The Oggettes flooded their forward line, desperate to not let them score. It paid off with Monash not converting, and leaving us with a very narrow 1 point win. We sure gave our supporters something to cheer about if we hadn’t already give them a heart attack. 

A special mention to Jules for her first game with the Oggettes, she absolutely smashed it and we all love having her a part of the team. 

It was amazing to have all of our incredible supporters down watching, and to top it off with a delicious lunch post both matches. Congratulations to both teams for getting the 4 points, here’s to next weekend. 

And a shout out to Liv Wetherall for getting the cob loaf in the oven in time for morning tea. 


UNDER 23's (thanks to James Muir)

A brisk morning at Albert Park set the scene for a drenched turf and an unforgiving muddy centre as a result of torrential rainfall the night before.  The match began with a routine set short from the one and only Alex Crowe.  Flawless technique and impeccable leading saw him deliver a game high 4 goals.  However, the infamous Fraser Locke booting 3 goals in his debut for the U23 side did not disappoint, along with other debutantes Eddy Sillitoe and Lochie Kerr showing no mercy.

Although the forwards put on quite a short, the midfielders didn’t let them take all the glory with absolute bulls such as James Green, as well as underrated hops from Will Townson giving the opposition little-to-no hope.  It may have been a quiet day down back, but this didn’t stop Tom (Farmer) Kebbell from launching 60+ meter bombs from the goal square to the centre square, whilst Mike Mortimer give his all in the air.

All in all, it was another routine win for the U23s side, and although the resentful muddy centre of the Harry Trott Oval gave new looks to people like Ben Slorach, the lads once again drove away with hysterical grins on their faces.


MENS THIRDS (thanks to Will Fisher)

Not for the first time in 2021, the Thirds were treated to the primetime 2PM timeslot on the illustrious Lady Como as they searched to shake off consecutive losses.  In what was a great occasion, the Senior Women got up in a last-gasp thriller while the Thirds also witnessed the unveiling of the 2019 Reserves Women Premiership flag, a huge achievement for the Club.  Less illustrious was the poor Lady Como, who was feeling the impact the impact of a huge downpour the night before and facing the prospect of her third consecutive match (looking in similar condition to coach Zach Carroll after a quiet Friday knock-off).

The nerves of actually having a crowd for the first bounce must have rattled some of the team, with Old Carey clearly having the better of the first half.  Avoiding the nerves however was debutant Jack ‘has never fumbled’ Nichols, immediately looking at home in the hoops.  The poor half was despite midfield bull Dom ‘I’m too top heavy’ Baker thriving in the muddle clinches (aided by some dominant and deft ruck craft), frequently surging the OGs forward all day. 

Notwithstanding some solid contest work and the twin defensive towers of Rupert Johnston and Will Clerk holding strong, the Thirds hit half time goalless and 29 points in arrears.  At this point, the wrath of Rhett Nicholas was unleashed, with not even birthday boy Fenn Gardner exempt from a half-time fire up.  In the second half the game turned in the OGs favour, who started to find their run and spread from the contest.  Jack Woods started to flex his significant muscle in the middle of the ground, with the run of Dan Ewing and Nic Farrell helping the game break out of the arm wrestle in the contest.  The great Conor McDonnell reaped the benefits of a big pre-season, hitting the scoreboard with a major much to the elation of the OGs faithful.  The Thirds most fruitful quarter was the final term as teammates began to gel and utilise the space that Lady Como offers.  With all the momentum, the OGs piled on 4.2 to 1.1 in what was the best footy the team has played in recent times to fall just 7 points short of Old Carey and left ruing the poor first half.

The comeback was in no small part due to Best-on-Ground Sam Hanlon who morphed into a walking intercept mark, chopping off any forward thrust and setting the team up with run from the back half.  Ever the humble man, Sam even suggested post-match that a Wing could be named in his honour after his display mopping up behind the ball.  While the Club Committee is left deliberating how the ‘Sam Hanlon Wing’ rolls off the tongue, the Thirds face Old Ivanhoe next, determined to get back on the winners list.

Share us on Facebook              Share us on Google +       View our linked in page