MENS SENIORS  (By Harry Gubbins)

With plenty of excitement putting the boots back on after an extensive break, the senior boys came into this game with a great attitude. Uhs-Vu Afc came to lady Como sitting at second bottom of the ladder. With a reasonably comfortable lead at half time 54-29, we knew we had plenty more gas in the tank and a lot more to prove. We snapped into 5th gear in the 3rd quarter with Liam Higgins kicking some handsome goals in the forward line. Sam Anderson running laps around his opponent to become a popular chest to kick to through the half forward/midfield.

The third quarter ended with a score of 86-37 our way. Incredible defensive pressure and skills by Lachie Radcliffe and Will Horsfall (welcome back horse) made it incredibly hard for our opponent to penetrate through their 50. Great gut running and smart footy was played by Will Sloss who didn’t stop the whole game. We showed incredible momentum as a team through the second half of this game, which was shown on the scoreboard and the dropping of heads by Uhs-Vu Afc.

An even contribution of efforts made Saturday’s game incredibly enjoyable to be a part of, as Browny and Okie always say, when all 22 of us are playing the way we should, we are hard to beat. Many great run downs and smothers by Jacob Jess made it very hard for Uhs to have any fluidity in the midfield, a ripper game for him. We didn’t drop off in the last quarter, with countless great entries into the forward 50 to our forwards leads. The final score was 134-50 with Liam Higgins kicking an impressive 7 goals and a not so impressive 6 points which along with constant running and fierce competitiveness throughout the entire game gave him best on ground. It was clearly evident that the team kept fit and healthy over the break. We look forward to a couple of challenging games ahead of us to solidify a good position for finals!

Go oggs


WOMENS SENIORS (By Georgina Rule)

After a long three weeks with no footy, the Oggettes were back in action Sunday for the first round of finals. After a tough fought loss by the Ressies the Senior girls were fired up and ready to go.

We started strongly but were unable to put pressure on the scoreboard. Clare Horsfall and Charlotte Kay were prolific off the half back line, impacting any and every contest, while Isy and Laura showed off their trademark speed and skills down the wings.

Straight out of 14 days quarantine, Mimi Bones went down early with a suspected ankle, with Em Morrison and Brooke McKay picking up the slack in the mids and playing with the aggression of the three of them.  

We went into the half time break 4 goals down but with plenty of positives. Coops’ special go-go juice courtesy of the Melbourne Football Club had the girls bouncing out for a huge third quarter, keeping Melbourne Uni scoreless. In for her first game, Tessa Longden spent the first half locking down their key CHF before switching to full forward and scoring our only goal for the game.

Unfortunately Melbourne Uni kicked away from us in the last, with the scoreboard blowing out but the Oggettes went down fighting. A double tackle from our Skipper and team dietician Kath Dunn and Ceila Cody saw Ceils leave the ground looking as tough as she plays (broken nose and nasty black eye). Having secured ourselves the double chance pre-lockdown, the girls will bounce back next weekend against Beaumaris and keep hunting for the premiership.


MENS RESERVES (By Will Simson)

After a longer than expected mid-season break, the Men’s Reserves were ready to build on their undefeated 10-0 streak.

As finals football is on the horizon, the boys were also keen to get back into form with a big win. With Coach O’Brien away due to the arrival of his newborn daughter Billie, Ed “Diesel” Ratcliffe was the playing coach for the game.

The first quarter produced some rusty passages of play, however, the boys managed to gain a 34-point lead heading into the quarter time break.

Dom “Truck” Baker was the star of the first half, his run and ability to break tackles was very impressive. However, his goal kicking display certainly provided something to work on.

The OGs team cohesion improved as the game went on and the lads ran away with a 133-point victory. Sam “frog legs” Hanlon ended with a personal best 4 goals.


MENS U23s (By James Edmunds)

The under 23s team with 3 loses in a row where keen to get there season back on track with a good win over Old Scotch at Como Park. With the inclusions of Lever, Dixon, Lucena and Stephenson the team looked set to get a win on the board.

The first quarter was promising for Old Geelong having 10 scoring shots to Old Scotch’s 1, but were unable to capitalise on their opportunities, only taking a 3-goal lead into quarter time. Old scotch was able to use the wind advantage more effectively taking a 5-point lead into half time.

The third quarter saw an unbelievable effort from Will Townson, kicking 3 goals in 15 minutes to lift the team. The team’s effort was considerably better in the second half, with the likes of Austin, Lever and Kebbell contributing well in their respective positions on the ground. The game came down to the final 30 seconds, with Old Scotch snapping a goal from a forward 50 stoppage to give them a 5 -point win. A disappointing day for the under 23s Old Geelong side.

Boys are looking to bounce back against Old Xaverians next week.


MENS THIRDS (By Conor McDonnell)

After the recent lockdown saw us miss out on last weekend's scheduled home game vs Fitzroy in what would have undoubtedly been a resounding win for the oggs we rolled on to Round 14 and our last game of the season.

A short trip down the Nepean Highway brought us to Brindisi Oval to play St Bedes in our first prime time game of the year. The scene was set as we were met by the lovely welcoming committee of blokes behind the goal exchanging pleasantries. It was a fiery start to the game with St Bedes coming out of the blocks fast to race to a 4 goal lead in the first quarter despite us having an extra player on the pitch for the first few minutes before either side noticed - got to love thirds footy.

The oggs fought back and found our feet in the second quarter. The defensive unit of Sam Briggs, Dizzy Gillespie, Fish and Cala put in some solid shifts at the back to keep things locked down while the midfield combo of new recruits Dom Power and Eoin Culligan put in some big hits to win us go forward ball. Some sharp shooting from Fenn Gardner, Eddy Johnstone and Will Noall got us a foothold in the game before St Bedes pulled away in the third. The heavens opened up in the last turning the pill into a bar of soap. Liam Wilson popped up with a great strike towards the finish followed by a tap in from 2 meters from myself. There was still some late drama to come when Rhett Nicholas nearly scored a beauty of a snag with his last kick in an oggs jumper only for it to be caught on the line.

Following the full time whistle the great man Rhetta was chaired off the field to applause from both sides and into the warm dressing room where the cans were waiting on Ice, congrats on a great career big fella.

A special shout out to Player / Coach Zach Carroll for braving the cold and umpiring for the day and for all the behind the scenes work he put in to make this season happen.



Share us on Facebook              Share us on Google +       View our linked in page