News » Match Reports: Round 8 2019

Match Reports: Round 8 2019

Match Reports: Round 8 2019

Written by Scott Dixon

Round Eight was Indigenous Round which included a Welcome to Country before the start of the match. The ceremony included both Uni Blacks and Old Geelong lining up together in one line to send a message that we all stand together against racism and inequality and that we are united on Reconciliation.

Saturday’s fixture also marked the return of Jeremy ‘The Fridge’ Nettlefold to the senior side after recovering from the sickening broken arm he endured in last year’s Grand Final.

Old Geelong came into the game with plenty of confidence after running over Fitzroy in the last quarter of the previous round. The momentum continued into the first quarter against Uni Blacks, starting straight from the first bounce when Ed ‘the push up’ Keach won the first hard ball get, portraying the fierce desire coach Nick Bourke demanded from his players.

Old Geelong managed to play some quick, counter-attacking football, getting the ball over the back of Uni Black’s defence, enabling eight very kickable shots on goal. However, OGs still came in at quarter time three points down, having only converted two shots on goal.

In the second quarter Old Geelong lost that fierce desire and Uni Black's showed why they will be one of the top teams in Premier B. They played efficient, hard-running, team football and went into the main break six goals in front.

The second half saw Uni Blacks' experience and efficiency with ball in hand result in an impressive second half for the home side, running out the game 71 point winners. Although, Old Geelong never threw in the towel and continued to play hard, quick football, despite having one player on the bench for the majority of the second half.  

Jonnie ‘look at me’ Read’s speccy and Will ‘straight from the horse’s mouth’ Horsfall’s best on ground performance were two major highlights for Old Geelong. Horsfall’s defending was exceptional, showing tremendous courage and stopping many of Uni Blacks' forward entries turning into goals.

The club will enjoy a well-deserved bye over the Queen’s Birthday weekend and prepare for the ‘back to school’ match against Caulfield at Geelong College on the 15th of June.


Written by Hamish Seller

After an extremely disappointing loss last week against Fitzroy, the men's Reserves were itching for a chance to prove ourselves as flag contenders.  This week had us away at Melbourne University against the Uni Blacks. With a large chunk of the team having previously called Uni Main “home” there was plenty of nostalgia around the rooms. This energy carried out into the warm-up, in stark contrast to last week we were up and ready for the fight.

The first quarter had us match it with the Blacks in every aspect except the scoreboard. At the first break being eleven points down was not an accurate representation of how well we were playing, a theme which would continue all day.

The second term mirrored the first, with the Blacks ball use by foot proving too quick on the rebound as we entered the half time break 29 points behind.

The third term began and we came out firing. Regular senior players Jack Anderson, Will Langley and Matt Corney led from the front, making use of their ball use and speed. Tom Vaughn was not short a highlight, continuing his tradition of a few high flying marks.

Not to be outshone, Jacob Jess threw his contender for mark of the year in also, (albeit on their shortest player). At one point only two goals down the Blacks slipped in a late one ending the third term three goals behind.

It was play to win at the start of the fourth quarter and again our pressure was second to none, yet again being unable to convert the back line was under fire. Coach turned player Joe Couch fought well in his first game for the season, while Andy de Fegely also found plenty of it as we fought off their forward entries.

After only managing  one major in the last term we found ourselves behind 33 points at the final siren. The result does not reflect our efforts, in which we were proud of many parts of our game. Not too take anything from the Blacks, who were extremely disciplined and well structured, something we will learn from as we go into the bye.


Written by Lachie Tosh

The men's Thirds kicked off proceedings at Como Park on Saturday in arguably the most ideal timeslot of all - 11:40am. With one eye firmly on the 3rd vs 4th clash against Old Carey and the other eye on Jarrod Tyndall’s rumoured debut in Mr & Mrs OG’s, the boys were looking forward to the big day ahead.

After a stirring pre-game speech from stand in skipper Jimmy Cave, that involved more expletives than a Mick Malthouse spray, the boys were ready to run through brick walls – or in Rhett Nicholas’ case, run to the bench. The Thirds welcomed back Hugh Coltman from injury with his pace and skill standing out as a class above from the first bounce. Shaggy Tivendale provided some early excitement with his run and dash on the wing, while Blaze Jordan added some grunt and silky skills through the midfield.

After going into the first break with a seven point lead, the boys turned it on in the second quarter kicking five goals to one. This was led by Cameron Lack providing silver service to our mids, as well as Jono Thomson and Tom Sheridan who provided strong targets up forward.

The third quarter saw the OGs continue their stranglehold on the match, with Liam Higgins' influence through the midfield and up forward being pivotal. Harry McDonald was again a force on the wing and across the half back line, taking intercept mark after intercept mark to stop the Old Carey entries. This was most impressive given the amount of sleep he had the previous night was questionable. There is now another certainty in life – death, taxes and a Taylor McNab tap in. The inside 15m specialist again got his hand to the footy inside the square that led to another lacklustre celebration.

The boys entered the final change with a commanding 53 point lead but that didn’t stop the boys intensity, as Will May continued to run head first into the opposition midfielders like a red rag to a bull. Harry Sleigh provided further stability across the half back line, which continued to rebound and provide first class use to the forwards. The boys continued to pile on the goals and wound up convincing 72 point winners to extend the streak to five wins in a row leading into the long weekend break.


UNDER 19's
Written by Ollie Pescott

Coming off two poor rounds we had something to prove against PEGS. PEGS was a tough first round opponent in which we stormed home to come out on top after a close three quarters.

We started hard from the first contest and continued it through the remainder of the first quarter. We were running the ball out of the middle and back half the best we had been all year and it proved with a handy lead going into the second.

The PEGS boys seemed scared of the footy in the second quarter as our forwards piled on multiple majors to their none. There was a good feeling at half time going into the rooms but we knew PEGS were going to bring something big to the second half.

As expected, PEGS came out hard and kicked the first few goals of the third but that was quickly stemmed by the efforts of our defenders who hadn’t seen much for the day.

We set up well for the last quarter where we increased the score marginally. At the end of the day it was a game where the boys had to prove themselves against a known quality opposition and we did

Share us on Facebook              Share us on Google +       View our linked in page