News » Match Reports: Round 7 2019

Match Reports: Round 7 2019

Match Reports: Round 7 2019

Written by Hugh Fitzpatrick

OGs finally get payback!

Staring down the barrel of a fourth consecutive loss to Fitzroy at three-quarter time, the odds were against the men's Seniors but in a game that had momentum fluctuate throughout, Old Geelong stood up when it mattered most finishing all guns blazing with a seven goal last quarter that saw the side eventual victors by 27 points. Revenge tasting oh so bitter sweet!!

In what was a spirited victory at home against a Fitzroy outfit that is so used to winning close games against Old Geelong, the senior players were determined to make a statement, wanting to prove to the coaches and the club that we have what it takes to be a competitive side in Premier B. The senior side welcomed back Will Sloss and Rupert de Crespigny; however the announcement of a debutant was the talk of Como on Thursday night.

With morale high on Thursday night, debutant Will ‘wink’ Simson was announced that he’d be playing his first senior game for Old Geelong. The 2018 Best and Fairest winner for the reserves, Wink has been dominating this year and with his brother stealing the limelight for the past two seasons it was now Wink’s time to put on a show at Como. In saying that the brothers collected 55 disposals and two goals between them in what was a dominant display by the Simson boys. Jon Simson was comfortably best on ground returning to form with a career high 36 disposals and two goals as Dobby showed his magic on the field all day!.

A fiery game throughout, Old Geelong started the game full of energy with our contested play being on show early. Scott Dixon and Ed Ratcliffe were in and under all day inflicting pain on the Fitzroy midfield, gathering 14 tackles between them, contributing to a first quarter lead. With tension boiling over, ill-discipline gifted Fitzroy goals in the second quarter as the 2018 Premiers piled on five second quarter goals, gaining control of the match. Fitzroy lead the game at half time by five points.

With the side in a position very common to them, the second half was an opportunity for the boys to shun the critics and prove to the competition that Old Geelong are not going to gift the opposition another easy win. The third quarter was full of miss opportunities for the OGs as momentum swung Fitzroy’s way. The Lions gained full ascendancy of the match whilst increasing their margin to eleven points at the final break. With the reality of another hard fought loss beckoning, Nick Bourke begged of his players to find something within and finally give Fitzroy a taste of their own medicine. The rest is history with Old Geelong dominating the final quarter kicking seven goals to one with the senior side producing a season best performance.

After a quiet first three quarters, Cal Wood and Sam Anderson were superb in the last quarter with the pair kicking five goals between them in the final term, ultimately proving to be the match winners. In what was a coaching masterclass by Joe Couch, moving Sam Anderson into the midfield reenergised the senior group and alongside Jon Simson the pair tore apart the Fitzroy side.

The senior side look to take a scalp this weekend against Uni Blacks away from home, this side is gaining confidence in its ability to win big games and this week is another challenge we are looking forward to. 


Written by Toby Boyle

The Senior Oggettes welcomed two senior debutants for the clash with Old Xaverians, with Erin Strong and Jasmina Andros coming into the line up after some blistering Reserves form.

Having previously played Old Xavs in the pre-season, a tight tussle was expected and that is what we got for three quarters of football. A final quarter fade out from the Oggettes allowed Old Xavs to finish strongly and kick away but the effort was yet again on show.

That effort started with Brooke McKay who was busy early around the packs. Old Xavs were determined to stop Brooke in her tracks at every stoppage as Nicole Chodelka was giving her first use of the footy from the ruck. Whilst Old Xavs booted the first of the day, the Oggettes were not to be denied and the forward pressure from Jasmina panicked the Old Xavs defense into giving away a free kick. Jas made no mistake from directly in front and the Hoops went into the quarter time break down by a solitary point.

The second quarter belonged to the Oggettes who for large parts had the bulk of possession and territory. Despite keeping Old Xavs scoreless, the failure to capitilise would come back to haunt the Oggettes as they could only add a point to the scoreboard. Dani Trott was a brick wall across half back, whilst the rotation of Kath Dunn, Laura Hallam and Alex Cooper from half back through the middle was providing plenty of run and drive. Old Xavs weren't about to let the Hoops score easily, but a host of squandered forward entries would eventually come back to bite. All square at half time and all to play for.

Old Xavs upped the tempo in the third. The Oggettes kept up with thier opponents but the story of the year to date has been the almost goals and passages of play that nearly came off, and a scoreless term didn't do justice to the effort and commitment of the players. Emily Carr was like salt and pepper (in everything) as she provided support to Brooke and Laura around the stoppages and up forward, but like her team mates, her efforts went unrewarded. Xavs holding a nine point lead at the final change.

The final quarter was all Xavs as they finally broke the efforts of the Oggettes. Never a group to lay down, the girls kept fighting and trying but momentum and fortune was with the visitors as they piled on four straight goals, two very late in the quarter.

With a fortnight off, the full squad will regroup and chip away at areas to improve before taking on Collegians at Geelong College on June 15!


Written by Tom Vaughan

The matchup against our grand final victors Fitzroy had been hyped up all week and it seemed that come game day, playing at home the men’s Reserves would come ready to prove a point against the team that bested them on the biggest stage the year before.

Game day came and seemingly the energy that had been building all week dissipated. The team struggled to move the ball into the forward line against the wind, managing a single major for the first quarter. Whilst our opponents Fitzroy came with energy winning the ball first and capitalising on the breeze finishing the quarter with a 17 point lead.

The quarter time break witnessed a deserving mouthful from Coach Colby regarding the lack of effort and willingness of the team to play “bruise free footy”. The team responded well in the second quarter, putting points on the board and managing a minor score gap close.

Rolling into the second half, many players were positioned where they hadn’t been before in an attempt to try and find something to get the team across the line. Yet Fitzroy once again managed to pile on the goals with the aid of the breeze ending the quarter back up 27 points. Major highlights for the OGs in the third quarter were two amazing snap goals from crafty Matt Corney.

The final quarter saw the OGs rally and make a valiant charge by playing a quick moving brand of football which witnessed many opportunities for goal, but unfortunately a lack of capitalising. The team kicked 3.5 in the final term to fall short by thirteen points.

Tim Hosking played his best game of the season, moving the ball out of the backline with speed and skilful foot use whilst Andy Leahy continued his great season and is proving a great senior leader of the Reserves.

Ultimately, the game can be summed up as chasing tail. Poor energy and effort in the first quarter put the team on the back foot early and despite lifting later in the game the early margin that Fitzroy created was too much to close.


Written by Georgia Rule

It was a disappointing day for the women's Reserves suffering our first loss of the season.

The early game time proved the first challenge of the day with a concerning number of faulty alarm clocks in operation. Old Xavs didn’t appear to have the same problem, having arrived a good two hours before the game to warm up.  

Old Xavs took on the game from the start, with a quick goal in the opening minutes. With our star forward and resident pocket rocket Vicky Tan sidelined before half time, it was an uphill battle for the Oggettes.

The game saw a solid performance from the backline, who rose to challenge after a rather quiet start to the season. The return of Clare Horsfall provided us with some much-needed leg speed, while Emma Calvert provided some key clearances.

Phoebe Ulrick and first gamer Ruby Austin were impressive on the wing, making the most of the space on offer at Lady Como. Caz Edwards and Phoebe kept our chances alive, with a seemingly impassable wall on the forward 50, marking more Old Xavs clearances than Old Xavs.

Our forwards applied constant pressure throughout the game but just couldn’t quite convert on the scoreboard. Bel Richards was instrumental in the forward line, scoring our only goal for the game. Katie-Rose Campbell had another strong game in the forward line, however not as impressive as the speed with which she ran off the ground post game to pat her dogs.

The game saw another two impressive first game performances from new recruits Jot Gill and Em Hatty, bringing us up to a total of 105 Oggettes to pull on the hoops.

In honour of supporter’s round, a special thanks goes to our runner Sam Goddard (who even managed to change out of his RMs for the occasion), Lucy Bishop and Lauren Simpson for boundary and goal umpiring and our ever faithful team manager Nick Edwards. A special mention to Sophie Batten who played a full game and then went on to be the runner for the women's Seniors.

While not the result we were after, the girl’s effort and intensity could not be faulted. With the next two weeks off, we look forward to coming back stronger than ever when we take on Collegians in Round Nine.


Written by Will Fisher

On the back of three wins, the Men’s Thirds were again treated to the prime time 2pm slot with the side trekking out to Glen Waverley to take on Mazenod. With weatherman Jarrod Tyndall telling us it would be raining cats and dogs, the long stops and long sleeves were packed. Sure enough we ran out in sunny conditions, with vice captain Jimmy Cave losing the toss to have us kicking into a stiff breeze to start the game.

Despite the breeze the OGs started well, taking a four goal lead into quarter time. The backline held up strong as they were invigorated by the return of Charles Burbury as their spiritual leader, winning multiple one-on-one contests against an opponent who must hold the VAFA record for bench press. Oli Le Lievre and Chris Gubbins provided their customary dash while Tommy Sheridan opted for strictly torpedos in gaining meterage. Zach Carroll recovered from a pre-game clip from the coach to be solid all game while Will Fisher sat out the back looking for a cheap kick at all times.

With the wind at our backs in the second quarter it gave the OGs the opportunity to break the game open. We kicked 7.9 to 0.0 in a dominant display as the forwards filled their boots. Harry Gubbins was quick and clean on the lead all day, Liam Higgins attempted to shake his tag as the leading behind kicker in the VAFA, Taylor McNab got on the end of plenty and Jimmy ‘Fridge’ Waterhouse had zero problems in his debut (except with accuracy) with all of them booting five goals a piece for the day. Jono Thomson had a hand in everything while Coach Rhett Nicholas forgot to wipe the butter off his dukes post-brekky after looking threatening on multiple occasions. Gus Orford crumbed well off big target Max ‘Clunks’ Johnson who still hasn’t stopped talking about his game winning buzzer-beater on this ground 12 months prior.

With a 74 point buffer at the main break, it took all Coach Toby Blatchford’s strength to not pull the jumper on and park himself in the cage as has become customary in wins for the Thirds. Despite the lead, hardnuts Will May and George Stewart gave up nothing in the contest with first service from Cam Lack despite Stewart thinking he was back on the rugby field with him throwing a few tight spirals out of the packs. Declan Peacock must have smelt from the night before as nobody went near him all game as he enjoyed the space allowed to him on the wing, using his skills to connect us going forward with Lachie Tosh and Sam Walsh also using the ball well to the forwards all day. In his first game for the men's Thirds after playing with the Unders, Sam Stone slotted in seamlessly while Harry McDonald is sure to come under intense review from league officials for bringing his own footy again.

With the sting out of the game in the last quarter the boys from New Town had to start another barney to keep themselves entertained (this author can’t afford another fine lads) as the OGs eventually ran out huge 145 point winners. The fourth win on the trot has us third on the ladder as our season gains momentum. We’ll be back on the track in force this week as we look for win number five back on Lady Como against a similarly placed Old Carey.


Report Unavailable

Share us on Facebook              Share us on Google +       View our linked in page