News » Match Reports: Round 3 2019

Match Reports: Round 3 2019

Match Reports: Round 3 2019

Written by Hugh Fitzpatrick

OG’s fall short in comeback effort.

After a disappointing loss in Round Two, the men's Seniors were staring down the barrel of consecutive home game defeats. Down by 30 points at three-quarter time against Parkdale Vultures, the boys rallied and could have pinched the game in the dying stages of the game had a shot at goal sailed through, eventually falling short by four points.

In what was a scrappy game of football by both sides, both teams struggled in front of goal, with forwards failing to capitalise on their early chances. Jonnie Read played his best game for the club at full back, given the constant pressure he was placed under by Parkdale, his ability to beat his opponent and then attack was motivating for his fellow players who unlike Read, failed to win critical contests in the first three quarters. With the absence of Don Nicolson (retired) and Will Sloss (injured), Will Horsfall continues to show great composure in defence; his elite decision making was on show again, being the catalyst for the bulk of our attack from defence. Roommate Jack Sheridan was dominant all day in the ruck, constantly giving the OG’s midfield first chance; his ruck craft in the last quarter was influential and is a credit to his hard work on the track.

After a disappointing first half, Old Geelong felt they had lots to give and a statement to be made following recent poor performances at home. The third quarter was abysmal; the lack of intensity shown by Old Geelong’s midfield and forward line placed the OG’s defence under constant pressure, inevitably allowing Parkdale to cut us open, piling on six third quarter goals to our one.

In what was our worst quarter for the year, coach Nick Bourke demanded effort from the players in the final term, effort that hadn’t been shown all game. In a game plan built around run and elite ball use, Sam Anderson did all he could to get the boys over the line collecting 25 disposals and 2 goal assists, both coming in the final term. Swung to the forward line in the final term, Charlie Crozier was superb, kicking two majors in what would’ve been a match winning performance by Charlie who played his best game as a senior player for the OGs.

Scottie Dixon (8 tackles) and Mickey Nicholls provided grunt throughout the day. Mickey Nicholls was inspiring in the last quarter with a 200 metre run down tackle to stop an inevitable goal for Parkdale that would’ve sealed the match. After a quiet first three quarters, Christian Hatzis moved into the midfield and led the charge with his clearance work. Christian is looking to build his fitness over the next few weeks as he looks for more midfield time, BIG things to come.

Old Geelong face bottom placed Monash Blues next week at Frearson Oval, Monash University. In what is a massive game for the side as they look to get back on the winners list, all support away from home is always appreciated.

The players would like to thank Peter ‘Slicer’ Lemon for his photography work each week, Peter is the heart and soul of this football club and his efforts do not go unnoticed. 

Old Geelong       1.4    3.5    4. 8     9.10 (64)

Parkdale              1.2     2.11     8.13     9.14 (68

Goal Kickers: M. Nicholls 2, J. Griffiths 2, C. Crozier 2, C. Hatzis, S. Dixon, M. Bird
Best Players: J. Read, S. Dixon, W. Horsfall, C. Crozier, S. Anderson


Written by Toby Boyle

A week is a long time in footy so a fortnight felt like an eternity for the Senior Oggettes looking to make it two wins on the trot against Old Camberwell at Gordon Barnard Reserve.

A recall to the Senior team for Laura Hallam, Lucy Rourke and Georgia Small added some pace to the line up whilst Alice Long's form in the Reserves was rewarded with a recall of her own. Clare Horsfall made her senior debut for the club on the back of two solid games at Reserves level and the raft of changes was complete with 2018 B&F Kath Dunn being cleared by Hawthorn to join the Oggettes for an early season test against the "Wellers".

With Co-Captains Libby Graham (unavailable) and Ally Kirkwood (VFLW) not playing, Kath was given the honour of leading out the girls, although in true Kath style, she instead made sure every player ran out before her with a high five and words of encouragement.

The Oggettes had come to play early in the piece throwing themselves at the contest willingly and making their presence felt. It was Old Camberwell however who weathered the storm and kicked the first through a strong contested mark and set shot. A snap out of a boundary throw in minutes later gave the Wellers a twelve point lead and the signs were starting to look telling for the Oggettes.

Just like the Monash match, the harder the hoops worked, the luckier the opposition got and when Annabel Rafferty attacked the footy and was beaten by the bounce and shape of the Sherrin into waiting arms of her opponent, who kicked truly, the girls were staring down a twenty point quarter time deficit.

Despite the positivity flowing through the group and the continued attack on the football and player, the Oggettes couldn't find an avenue to goal whereas the Wellers were finding plenty, slamming on four more goals to take an eight goal lead into half time. Laura was defiant across half back repelling attacks and coming close to getting the visitors on the scoreboard herself. 

The usual bash sisters Brooke McKay and Lizzie Slattery were giving their all at each contest, winning plenty of contested possessions but unable to turn them into a chain of possessions for the team as Old Camberwell had the answers and were much cleaner around the packs.

A few changes at half time to playing positions failed to stop the Camberwell avalanche. Anna Brodie and Dani Trott swapped key position posts, both providing a resistance and a target up front respectively. Kath continued to lead from the front, willing her team mates to keep chipping away but it was just one of those days where the opposition was well and truly on!

The final term belonged to the Oggettes who finally got the goal they deserved via Dani (her first in the hoops). Camberwell didn't put the cue in the rack so the fight shown by the Oggettes to win the final quarter was promising and pleasing.

Premier B is one tough assignment after the other and the next match against Caulfield Grammarians is no exception. One thing for certain is the Oggettes won't back down, will keep chipping away and work hard.. It is only a matter of time before lady luck smiles on them....Caulfield are in the gun!


Written by Andy De Fegely

Last Saturday the men's Reserves returned back to Lady Como for their Round Three clash against the Parkdale Vultures. After a promising start in the opening two rounds the Reserves looked to continue that form to notch up their second win for the season.

Due to a mixture of injuries and unavailabilities seven changes were made from the round two starting lineup. Feeling the effect of the break flowed into the first quarter as the OGs got off to a slow start. A more organised Parkdale managed to come hard out of the blocks, kicking three goals to one. A crafty checkside goal from the slick Hughy McKay was the highlight from the first term.

In the second quarter the OGs started to kick into gear with the midfield starting to win clearances and providing some cleaner entries into the forward line. Pressure around the ground lifted which culminated in a clever RDC goal from the arc to get the OGs back to within three points. A late goal after the siren from the Vultures at half time had the OGs trailing by nine points at the main break.

Unfortunately, the good work of the second quarter only lasted momentarily as Parkdale kicked out to a twenty point lead. Across the ground the OGs just couldn’t gain any momentum as the disciplined Parkdale covered all the exits and maintained their structure all day.

Parkdale were victors by twenty-six points as the OGs remained scoreless in the second half. This week the Reserves will look to bounce back and square the ledger as they take on the Monash Blues out at Clayton.


Written by Tilly Arthur

After a long easter break and a lot of chocolate, the women's Reserves were ready to keep their winning streak alive. With some of the girls debuting at senior level the team were going to be challenged without a few and also with Old Camberwell being undefeated. There was no doubt the girls would bring absolutely everything they had to the table.

For the coach Tilly Arthur it was deja vu going back to the ground that saw her departing in an ambulance a year ago.  Unfortunately it was the same circumstance for backliner Annabel Young who went down with a suspected broken wrist early in the game and not long after fast paced Ursi Van Dyk landed awkwardly on her ankle ruling her out for the rest of the game.

Maddy Pham and Jasmina Andros were our first gamers donning the OGs hoops for the very first time and slotting in nicely into the side. With Vicky Tan, Georgia Gleeson, Lauren Simpson and Sass Le Lievre all returning back for their first game of the season. Andros was very quick to impress with her clean possessions, slick side stepping and aggression around the ball saw a BOG performance. Pressure and intensity was very much what we needed from the girls as Old Camberwell came out fighting and kept us goal less for the first half.

The score board wasn’t really representing how much the girls were working with their intensity and effort. Identifying at halftime that we needed to lock it in our forward line with a structural wall as it was leaving way too easily. With one less midfielder due to injury and with now only three on the bench, everyone needed to step it up after halftime. Jessie Gleeson continually showed form similar to Joel Selwood helped with a solid third quarter start, Erin Strong had the wing sorted and made sure she showed her opponent who was better. There seemed to be a strong gravitational force towards everywhere but the goals with us converting only four points.

A goal was on the horizon with a wonderful mark in front of goal by Judy Mckay there was no chance of her missing it and putting us finally on the board. We were now one point behind leading into the final term.

Lily Burt running off half back and intercepting marks and Georgia Rule’s thumping kicks it was evident they did not want that ball past that defensive 50. The girls pressure and intensity saw us convert another goal with the clever Vicky Tan snapping one through. Old Camberwell quickly responded with a goal of their own. With a few minutes left our two rucks Emma Calvert and Lauren Simpson (who might I add did a terrific job all day) were cramping up with Simpson on bench and Calvert not being able to take the centre bounce saw Jessie Gleeson think quick and step in. Old Camberwell were pressing but two game saving marks by Soph Wilson saved the day making us win by two points at the final siren

A super proud effort by the girls and a hard fought win down to the very last second. The girls are looking forward to taking on Caufield Grammarians this week and hopefully getting another win on the board.


Written by Justin Logan

There’s no place more pleasing on the eye than Lady Como, but if there was a distant second it would have to be Chelsworth Park in Ivanhoe. The opposition’s name Old Ivanhoe refers to the interior fit out of the clubs change rooms, a complete time warp back to mid-century modernism. As cozy as the changerooms were, there was a game on and the men's Thirds needed to get the monkey off the back for season 2019.  

The OGs jumped out of the gun with two early goals which prompted vigourous nods of approval by both coach Blatchford and coach Nicholas. After a solid year of running half marathons, Rhetski was keen to get endorphins flowing across the half forward line, whilst the team just wanted him to get a kick. And that he did, creating several chances in the OGs forward 50. After a promising start, Old Ivanhoe were able to bridge the gap a take the lead at quarter time, 19-15. 

An arm wrestle ensued in the second quarter with the OGs now upping the pressure and generating solid run and carry off half back. The return of Angus Perry to the club was just what the doctor ordered as he rallied the troops in defence and led from the front. After spending two weeks mourning the collapse of his beloved Notre Dame Cathedral, Oli Le Lierve was like a frog in a sock across the wings, although a few kicks hitting the opposition left him screaming “sacrebleu!!!” The OGs gained the ascendency in the second quarter narrowly leading 35-32 heading into the main break.  

There’s no better feeling in footy than coming out in the third quarter and piling on a series of goals to really put a dampener on the opposition's afternoon. And I’m sure that would have felt really good for the Old Ivanhoe players as they kicked five goals to zilch in what could only be described as disaster for the OGs. A lack of intensity around stoppages hurt the boys severely as they looked at the scoreboard in dismay. Moving on..... 

With a monumental task ahead of them, the OGs began their five goal claw back with ferocious attack on the ball and took the contest on at every opportunity. The likes of Liam Higgins and Jarrod Tyndell showed their athletic prowess, whilst there were ever so slight hints of Stephen Milne coming from the energetic Lachie Tosh. There are now four certainties in life. They of course being change, death, taxes along with multiple mark-of-the-year attempts from Harrison Jesse. Avenues to goal were open, however the lack of polish and execution up forward proved too great a task in the end going down 47-66.

Whilst the loss hurt as much as a wayward knee driven into the left buttock of Justin Logan, it was still the best performance by the OGs thus far. Next week the lads host Marcellin in Bulleen, yes, host Marcellin in Bulleen, where they will be hoping for a four quarter effort. Pardon the cliches, I’m just taking it one match report at a time. 

Go OGs. 


Share us on Facebook              Share us on Google +       View our linked in page