News » Match Reports: Round 3 2018

Match Reports: Round 3 2018

Match Reports: Round 3 2018

Written by Josh Hoevenaars

The Seniors braved the increasing inner city Saturday traffic to make the cross-town journey to Brunswick Street Oval, one of the most historic and picturesque grounds in Amateur footy. It’s been 52 years since the ground last played host to a VFL match, and since then it has housed many football clubs, most recently the Fitzroy Lions Football Club. The OGs have only played the Lions once since their 2009 formation with Fitzroy Reds, back in 2010 when they suffered a significant loss at the hands of a highly skilled Fitzroy side. Only one player remains from the team that played that day, reaffirming the growth and change in the Senior side over a short period of time. All this amounted to a great opportunity for the OGs to take on an experienced and well-drilled side that last year played in Premier B.

It took a while for both sides to settle early in the match with the ball moving quickly from end to end, with skill errors preventing scoring opportunities. Fitzroy settled first with their ball movement suited to a ground with plenty of width, particularly at both ends of the ground. Fitzroy scored the first goal, and buoyed by a parochial home crowd followed it quickly with a second and a third. Fitzroy were dominant in the midfield, getting their hands on the ball and using precise disposal to dissect the OGs and find scoring opportunities. At the first break Fitzroy led the OGs by 41 points with 12 scoring shots to one.

It was important that the OGs improved in the second term to maintain some respect, and they did thanks to a midfield that started to get their hands on the ball. Where in the first quarter kicks were shallow and favoured Fitzroy’s numbers at half forward, the disposal in the second term was more accurate and weighted to the advantage of our forwards. This improvement in execution led to the OGs’ first goal, which gave the team a sense of belief that was missing early in the match. Fitzroy didn’t drop off, but the OGs lifted, and goals to livewires Matt Corney and Matt Bird as well as Captain Cal Wood ensured that the OGs won the second quarter and entered the main break with a reduced deficit of 35 points.

Despite the improved showing in the second, Fitzroy weren’t phased, reaffirming their dominance in the third term with impressive tenacity at the contest and surgical precision in their ball movement. At times it appeared the OGs were at a loss at how to stem the flow of Fitzroy goals. This wasn’t due to lack of effort; the OGs continued to fly for marks and put their bodies on the line, but tackles were missed and turnovers were made, allowing Fitzroy to maintain possession for much of the quarter. Although the OGs succumbed to six goals to our one, there were some positives for the Seniors, with great rebounding defensive efforts from Sandon James a hallmark of the quarter.

By three-quarter time the OGs’ priority had shifted from trying to win the game, to trying to win the quarter, and learn how to score and defend against the seasoned Fitzroy side. Fitzroy didn’t let up with their attack on the ball, and again the OGs found themselves chasing loose players and trying to defend superb kicking across the entire ground. Will Sloss continued to be a shining light for the OGs, using his terrific agility and sublime skills to turn defence into attack on the historic Fitzroy ground. There were plenty of forays forward for the OGs which resulted in five goals across the quarter, but this was matched and beaten by a mountain of forward entries and nine goals to the Lions.

The OGs were taught a football lesson by Fitzroy, but it was a valuable one from which the team will benefit from in the long term. The beauty of football is that there is always another opportunity to redeem oneself after a poor performance, and the Seniors will look to do just that, this Saturday against Old Camberwell, the last side to claim a win against the OGs at Como Park.


Written by Libby Graham

Having watched the Reserves absolutely poleax Brunswick in their match, the Seniors wanted to come out firing and knock off their higher ranked opposition heading into the bye. Ally “I am the captain now” Kirkwood led the Oggettes out and showed she is truly a force to be reckoned with this year, laying tackle after tackle and setting the bar high with yet again another dominant performance across half back. Brunswick had the jump on us early however and used their strength in one-on-one contests around the ground to take a two goal lead in to quarter time.

Having settled in to the tempo of the game, the Oggettes came back in the second quarter, and used their speed and agility to get the better of Brunswick. Vicky “Punch On” Tan got the ball rolling after a sneaky little manoeuvre saw her literally run between her taller opponents legs to kick one of the greatest goals we’ll ever see. Lucy “Listen here champ” Gubbins was again crucial in our forward 50, providing a contest at every occasion and setting up several goal scoring opportunities.

The game from half time was an arm wrestle, with Annabel “Steam train” Rafferty proving the difference down back, not allowing her opponent an inch of space and her superior speed didn’t give their forwards a chance to catch her. Inaccuracy hurt the Oggettes with several wasted opportunities in the final term, before a dashing run from Tilly “Hey” Arthur, who joined us for her first game from the Geelong VFL side, combined with Ella “Fancy Feet” Scott resulted in Ella’s second goal and the sealer for the match.

It was a really hard fought match and the club is proud with how the Oggettes kept fighting and managed to come away with a solid win. The club is again wishing Georgia Small, Annabel Rafferty and Emme Richardson quick and full recoveries from concussions and injury, with fingers crossed all the Oggettes recover in time for Ladies Lunch this Saturday.

Huge thank you’s as well go out to all the Oggettes who came to help out for the day, as well as El “water boy/boundary/chief photographer” Bailieu for adopting a one-size-fits all attitude, and putting her body on the line to ensure the videos for social media were up to scratch.


Written by Will Griffiths

The Reserves were keen to remain undefeated as they ran out to take on Fitzroy on the weekend. With Fitzroy also coming off back-to-back wins, we knew it was going to be an arm wrestle all day.

From the start it was very high-paced, with a few of Fitzroy’s better operators cutting us up through the middle. However, Tim Breadmore started to dominate in the ruck and take big grabs around the ground, spurring the boys to remain in the contest. Liam Maiden was able to find a lot of space on the wing and at times we showed the brand of footy we knew we were capable of. Our skills continued to let us down however, and we just couldn’t manage to get within striking distance of Fitzroy. A slightly heavier than usual Charlie Youngman worked hard through the middle all day along with Brad Gore, and Harry Sleigh was fantastic under pressure in defence.

Our bigger bodies proved to be lacking the pace that Fitzroy had throughout the game, and in the end we found ourselves down by three goals for our first loss of the season. The boys are keen to bounce back this week with a win over Old Camberwell on the lovely Lady Como.


Written by Libby Graham

Sitting comfortably on top of the ladder, the Reserves travelled northside to take on the second placed Brunswick Renegades. Hoping for a close top of the table clash, this was short lived after Soph “Bondi Sands promo girl” Hughes slotted the opening goal within the first minute, her first of five for the match. From here, the Oggettes ran rampart. Lizzie “brought her own ball” Slattery proved too good for Brunswick, picking up a best on ground effort in her return game from injury, managing to rack up a game high disposal count and goal assists.

There was a fleeting moment in the second quarter when the opposition got it out to the centre square, however Gemma “not today” Sullivan proved too good, sweeping across the half back and sending it straight back in for another OGs goal.

The Gleeson Sisters proved a head ache up forward, picking up half a dozen sausage rolls between them, and the team was bolstered in knowing they have an abundance of goal kickers, with fourteen contributors for the match. Helen “Salty” Salter also put on a dominant display in the ruck winning every clearance and giving the midfield first use of the ball every time.

For a few of the new players, there was a bit of confusion when the ever-energetic, enthusiastic and OGs very own Superman, Stevie Lansdall showed up to be runner for the day. Fresh off the plane from the United States, he helped spur on an unprecedented 179 point victory with his on-field and half time messages to the team – welcome back Stevie!

In what was yet again another dominant display of women’s football, the Reserves are sitting comfortably on top of the ladder having conceded only ten points for the season so far. The OGs are also wishing both Lauren “I’m fine” Simpson and Erin “Hottie69” Strong a speedy recovery from both a broken leg and finger respectively.


Written by Toby Blatchford

A great hard fought win by the lads who sat off the contest in the first half but lifted after we addressed it at half time. The fourth quarter was a grind and the boys to their credit did not go into their shell. We took on every contest and took our chances and piled on five goals, four behinds in the final stanza to take away the win against an older and more physical Mazenod team.

We didn’t get much love from the umpire for most of the day until the free kick that mattered most. Sending a chaos ball into the square and it was Max Johnson who took the honours with a quick goal off the ground with six seconds on the clock to sure up the win. We didn’t go into our shell and we never gave up!


Written by Digby Sharp (Co-Captain)

On Saturday morning, the Unders went up against Parkside Football club at Lady Como for a battle between two teams which have had a slow start to the season. The early brisk clear conditions allowed the first quarter of the match to reveal the game winning intent each team had, with the first quarter resulting in 1.2.7 to 1.3.9 PEGS way. Throughout the first half of footy, the perfect conditions allowed easy viewing of the skills of the players on the field, with a strong performance from Angus McPherson in the backline and Trent Tembo in the midfield helping to keep the game close at halftime 3.4.22 to 4.5.29.

The second half of footy unfortunately was not easy to watch with PEGS beginning to run away with the match scoring three quick goals, and showing fitness and drive, which the OGs seemed to had lost, allowing the scores at three quarter time to be 4.5.29 to 9.7.61. After words from the Coach Hugh Coltman during the final break, the boys reformed the backline in an attempt to hold out the in form PEGS forwards.

Standout performances coming from second gamer Matt Szepe and Angus Mckillop in the backline helped reduced the momentum of PEGS but couldn’t recover the goals scored in the third quarter, with the game ending 5.7.37 to 13.9.87. It was quite evident that fitness was a key factor in the loss, but the game also highlighted the potential the team has with players improving and showing good promise.

Share us on Facebook              Share us on Google +       View our linked in page