News » Match Reports: Round 17 2017

Match Reports: Round 17 2017

Match Reports: Round 17 2017

By Cam Sherwin

The Seniors’ day started with a bit of a change of scenery and a pre-game coffee / team meeting at the Craft & Co in Collingwood. Everyone understood the importance of the game, and the plan was a hit and run mission. Coach Nick ‘newly crowned VAFA legend’ Bourke reflected on a Thursday night speech by his close friend and past team mate, about embracing the club culture and how fortunate we were to be in a position to challenge for finals. After that it was on to the ground, and you could have been forgiven for thinking we were playing a game in the Ovens and Murray league as we made our way to the foreign deck at Chelsworth Park. The ground was surrounded by a gum tree forest and combined with the wooden cabin change rooms provided a country footy type of atmosphere.

We started the game well and controlled the play in the first quarter, but inaccuracy in front of goal cost us and the scoreboard reflected a frustrating 1.8 leading into quarter time. Johnny ‘Marshall Mathers’ Simson started on fire picking up 14 disposals, earning himself an opposition tag for the rest of the game as a result. The second term saw us retain ascendency, adding another three majors through Jock ‘Tripod’ Grimshaw and Tom ‘Silk’ Balcombe, but despite controlling play the half time lead was only 14 points. Losing our skipper George ‘Hairline’ Burbury and the 200 game stalwart Colby ‘I’m going around again’ O’Brien to hamstring injuries leading into the main break was a big blow, and it was pretty clear we would require the whole team to dig deep if the result was to go our way in the second half.

Ivanhoe came out firing in the second half and with the smell of relegation in their noses they weren’t going to go down easily. Some positional changes saw Will ‘Laven D’Abush’ Sloss spend most of the second half in the midfield, picking up a goal and earning himself best on honours for the OGs for the afternoon. Nick ‘The General’ Mason and Charlie ‘Young Buck’ Comben were both solid down back, but the second half provided few highlights for the away team as we failed to register a goal in both quarters. In the end Ivanhoe ran out 52 points winners in a disappointing finish.

This weekend shapes as a massive game for the seniors who face second placed Haileybury in a must win game. There is still hope of a fourth place finish with five teams sitting equal on 32 points and only Williamstown ahead of us on percentage. 


By Tom Hays

Another week on the road for the travelling Ogs and whilst the reserves yearned an appointment with Lady Como, a dance with Mother Nature down at the lush surrounds of Chelsworth Park would have to suffice. 

A cat was thrown amongst the selection pigeons on game day. Tom Hays was struck down by The General, which prompted Coach Wright to give a late call up to Justin Logan. An eager Rupert De Crespigny arrived nice and early, but was forced to lend his trade in the Senior side at the last minute and Coach Wright turned to speedster Matt Lammeretz to fill the void.

Coming off a narrow defeat to a highly touted Old Caulfield outfit, the Ogs were determined to get back on the winner's list. However, it was Old Ivanhoe who delivered the first blow within ten seconds and they managed to sustain a high-pressure brand of football that put the Ogs on the back foot.

After quarter time the Ogs managed to stem the tide and deliver some harsh blows of their own. The calm head of Harry Sleigh down back propelled some quality midfield delivery into forwards Andy Leahy, Tom Sheridan and Ed Manton. The onslaught proved too much for Old Ivanhoe and the Ogs went into the main break leading 53 to 20.

After the break, the Ogs maintained a disciplined defensive unit and extended the lead out of reach of the home side. The likes of James Tivendale and Al Jackson weaved their way through the opposition and were backed up by the dashing run of returning defender Nick O’Hare who drove the ball forward. The margin was extended to 48 points at the final break.

With a guaranteed finals appearance around the corner, the Ogs were determined to take some strong form into final week of the home and away season. Renowned work horse Andy Leahy played like a man possessed with September in mind, thrusting himself into every contest and his efforts were rewarded with four majors for the day. Five last quarter goals saw the Old Geelong run out 79 point winners with an even contribution across all lines. The Ogs will be looking to end the home and away season on a positive note in front of a bumper crowd at Lady Como next Saturday against Old Haileyburians.

Share us on Facebook              Share us on Google +       View our linked in page