News » Match Reports: Round 16 2018

Match Reports: Round 16 2018

Match Reports: Round 16 2018

Written by Jeremy Nettlefold

The third bye in the Premier sections normally gives the players a week off to rest and recover for a final tilt at finals or starve off relegation… but for the OGs it was a week of stewing over what can only be described as a bitterly disappointing one-point loss against a resurgent Peninsula.

This week we found ourselves in a similar position, a spot in the finals on the line against a proud team who were determined to finish their season with pride despite their fate already being sealed. This was the case in the first five minutes when St. Mary’s won the first two centre clearances and caught the OGs on the back foot. Jack “BYO date to the sidelines” Sheridan decided enough was enough and dominated from then on with his pin point tap work and contested marking suffocating the St. Mary’s midfield and awarding him the BOG for the day. Johnny “refuses to pay for a haircut” Simson was a major beneficiary of Shez’s work accumulating an eye watering 38 touches and 12 marks in the midfield. The backline had some typical strong performances from Don Nicolson and Will “low centre of gravity” Sloss as they only allowed one goal through to half time. The OGs were up 85-9 at the main break however there was still plenty to work on.

The third quarter wasn’t something we would want to go into further detail in other than the OGs were up 110-16 at the final break.

Although it wasn’t perfect, the OGs continued their scoreboard dominance with a five-goal burst in the final quarter. Even the hail didn’t seem to faze Jock Grimshaw who appeared immune to the wet conditions kicking four goals for the game. Cal Wood seemed to glide over a heavy Como with countless efforts up the Alexandra Avenue wing while also finishing the game with three goals. It would be remiss of me not to mention Joe Couch’s late-night four goal game in his return to Senior football.  The OGs would finish winners by 123 points.

While the scoreboard was pleasing, the boys know that they have plenty of work in front of them if they are to have an impact not only in the next two weeks, but also in September, as the men's Seniors have qualified for their first appearance in Premier C finals in a generation.


Written by Hugh McKay

It was time for another contest at the lovely Lady Como with Old Geelong looking to lock their spot on the ladder with finals looming around the corner against St Marys. The ground was looking in good condition considering the overnight rain and previous under 19's match.

The midfielders were granted first opportunity to grab the ball by our two tall timber ruckmen in Tim ‘Twiggy’ Breadmore and Josh ‘not so twiggy’ Hoevenaars. From this we were able to deliver the ball quickly and effectively to our forwards leading the first term five goals three behinds to one goal straight. The discussion at quarter time was mainly on keeping to our style of football no matter what the level of opposition we were up against. The main two points to focus on were to go in hard and be selfless with the ball, playing as a team. This worked well as we kicked another five goals in the second term to go in at half-time 54 points up.

In the change rooms there was more talk of sticking to our game plan. The main emphasis was to continue to play our brand of football and not dropping off in intensity or professionalism, due to our lead. Over the half time break we were greeted with a reasonable rain shower which lasted through most of the third quarter. The boys adapted quickly to the new playing conditions focussing on getting the ball forward allowing us to kick another three goals in tough conditions. Andy ‘laser’ Leahy, Liam ‘blaser’ Maiden and Josh ‘Meshell’ Hutley continued to move the ball forward direct and with poise finishing a solid third term. With the final quarter’s weather clearing up, the OGs backline held St Marys backline to only a single point while the forwards finished up with another five goals for a great win for the Club.


Written by Toby Boyle

The last time an Oggettes side stepped onto Elsternwick Park, the venue looked a lot different but then again so did that women's Reserves side! With only a smattering of players involved in the victorious 2017 Carnival team taking the field for the Preliminary Final, the question was; is Elsternwick Park still a happy hunting ground for the Oggettes?

Eighty minutes later, the answer was a resounding yes!

But before the Oggettes could make history in becoming the first womens team at Old Geelong to make a Grand Final, the opponent in the way was St Mary's Salesian, a formidable opponent who earlier in the season inflicted our first loss. The Saints had narrowly finished behind the Oggettes on the ladder and made light work of Brunswick in the Semi Final to progress. Coming off a tough loss to West Brunswick, the Oggettes were primed not to let the double chance slip and in turn prove to the competition why they were such a force in the home and away season.

Nerves brushed aside and adrenaline on high, the Oggettes burst out of the gates with dynamic duo Brooke McKay and Lizzie Slattery returning from the Seniors and bringing their trademark no nonsense approach to contested footy. The Oggettes were hungry to posses the footy and deny the Saints time and space. Sophie Hughes pounced on a quick kick into the forward line and dished off a handball to Annabel Richards who was only too happy to receive and boot the opening goal of the game. Soon enough it was two goals to the hoops when Olivia Gleeson jagged a goal from a contest and the Oggettes were up and about! Up the other end Georgia Rule, Simone Brown and Keeley Murrihy were combining well to keep St Mary's at bay when they finally managed to break through the Oggettes midfield.

Entering the second quarter at 14 to nil, the Oggettes were encouraged to up the tempo again and snuff out any St Mary's counter. The match began to tighten up despite the midfield dominance of the Oggettes. Helen Salter was working overtime in the ruck whilst Alex Cooper and Harriet McKindlay were giving Brooke and Lizzie a chop out around the packs. St Mary's were launching attacks from half back but Sophie Joubert and Tess Lawless were proving hard to get by and continued to repel the footy into the Old Geelong half. Soph Hughes went from provider to goal kicker after benefiting from a push in the back decision in the goal square, kicking the only goal of the quarter. Old Geelong had survived everything St Mary's could muster and went into half time 3.3.21 to 0.0.0.

Rested and ready to go again, the Oggettes ensured that there was no lapse in concentration after the break, continuing to press the Saints and commit to the contest, epitomized by Keeley's effort of beating two then three opponents on the wing, just to get a stoppage for her team. With each passing minute of the third quarter, the game tightened up and scoring became near impossible. The improved discipline of the Oggettes pushed St Mary's into desperation, missed kicks and turnovers. Each team booted just the solitary behind for the quarter and the Oggettes went into the final break holding onto their half time lead of 21 points.

With a simple equation of win the quarter to win the match, that is just what the Oggettes did, keeping the Saints scoreless for the third quarter of the game. With goals hard to come by, the Oggettes weren't at all fazed to just keep the ball in their forward half and set up behind the play, adding a couple of points to the scoreboard in the process. The efforts of the first half had been enough to break St Mary's and it was now party time with Sass Le Lievre happy to start writing the club song on a whiteboard with a few minutes to play. 

Maybe it was having the words in front of them, maybe it was the excitement of booking a birth in the big dance, but the acoustics of the new Elsterwick Park changerooms were tested out with a rousing rendition of the club theme song! "Cheers Girls...Here we are the we're on the road to victory!"

That road leads to Marcellin College against West Brunswick this Sunday at 12pm. Get around the "Midday Show" as they attempt to create even more history for the club!


Report Unavailable

Share us on Facebook              Share us on Google +       View our linked in page