News » Match Reports: Round 16 2016

Match Reports: Round 16 2016

Match Reports: Round 16 2016

By Shannon Gove

It was another typically fresh afternoon that led the Old Geelong boys out of the South Yarra bubble and up the highway to take on the Old Paradians. Greeted with a ripping deck and an all mighty goal fest for the Ressies, the OGs kicked things off with Jack Mack treating himself to 7 of the finest snags.

As the score board continued ticking over for the Twos, the “Best team manager in the VAFA” – Dogga Stewart quickly got the boys in order, signing the team on for the afternoon shift and getting our minds into the game and focused on the job ahead – collecting the W and getting out of there.

With our opposition pushing ladder leaders all the way in previous weeks, Knighta’s message was clear from the start – "Win every quarter and don’t give them a sniff" - a very simple message for a simple bunch.

By quarter time Knighta's message rang true, with OGs leading by 22 points. Debutant, Ed “Wrighty’s love child” Gubbins impressed down back and Tommy “Shake and Bake” Balcome was a welcome inclusion after over a month on the sidelines. By half time, the OGs had extended their lead and the three statistic stooges on the sidelines (Sando, Dogga and Joystick) had their shoes and socks off in order to count Will “Schllloossaa” Sloss’s and Josh “BingaLee” Hutley’s touches off half back.

Mid way through the third, George Burbs and Cal “No Diggity – No Doubt” Wood ordered the full feed-me menu from the midfield who delivered with aplomb, allowing them both to pile on 5 snags each in another dominant performance for our versatile forward line. Meanwhile at the other end of the ground, Harry (Actual quote – “I think I may have vertigo”) Graham decided to launch into stratosphere to take an unbelievable hanger to make sure the defenders got another mention in the post-match write up.

Continuing a strong performance through to the last two quarters saw the boys from Old Geelong walk away with the 4 points in the back pocket. Walking off the ground victorious was only made sweeter by hearing that the mighty Dees knocked off poor old Aaron “Tickles” Bird’s Hawks in a thriller at the G….Poor old Tickles.

By Jack McMeel

On a beautiful winter’s morning, the Ressies had an opportunity to regain a top 4 position with a win over the Paradians. The boys knew it was going to be a good day when Nick ‘Wallace’ O’Hare was handed with the captaincy duties and the opportunity to test his public speaking skills in front of a determined unit of 19 players. The team welcomed back a few favourite sons including Rupert ‘one arm’ Kemp, Mick ‘Mika’ McCormack and Luke ‘left then right’ Hooke back into the team after long layoffs, and the whisper of finals being just around the corner.

The boys got off to a flying start with Harley ‘Davidson’ Beaumont taking a screamer in the goal square and converting for the first goal of the game. The flurry of goals continued, with Andy ‘Froggy’ De Fegely and Gus ‘Angus’ Smith providing plenty of goal scoring opportunities for the forwards, and chiming in for a few sausages themselves.

The barrage continued in the second quarter, as the Oggers continued to share the ball around and inflict further pain on the Paradians and the scoreboard. Cam ‘Clive Waterhouse’ Sherwin continued his rich vein of form in the ruck, giving the midfielders first use of the football and running ragged around the ground. The half time break provided a good opportunity for the team to gather their thoughts, as Nicko provided further words of wisdom for the second half.

The third quarter continued where the 2nd left off, as Hamish ‘Alex Rance’ Guthrie and John ‘father of one’ Forster, provided drive from the half back line. Louis ‘two games by 2pm’ Chiodo, provided the team with some relief and an extra player in the second half, as the goal sneak allowed us to continue to build an unassailable lead.

The final quarter saw the OGs stack on another 5 goals to 1, providing us with great momentum into next week and the opportunity for us to lock down a finals berth. Thanks to Matt ‘Colly’ Collister, the trainers and all those who helped out on the day.


By George Manton

On the 6th of August 2016 at approximately 11:40am AEST the star-studded Old Geelong Under 19s side came toe to toe with St Kevin’s. The wind was tending NNW 5-7 knots. Coming off five consecutive wins the boys were confident, yet wary of the strong opposition outfit. A win was needed for our finals dreams to remain intact, so Benny ‘brother of Jono’ Thompson made sure we were in the right mental frame of mind.

Led out by Will ‘Stewy was better’ Griffiths, the boys were fired up, focussing on having a strong start and leading at the first change. Max ‘get to my level’ Newman set the scene early on laying nine tackles in the first 30 seconds, however, this pressure was met by St Kevins and at quarter time we were down by one point.

The final three quarters were somewhat of a clinic as the boys put snags on the board with little response. The likes of Luka ‘Looks weird with his hair tied back’ Thorpe and Harry ‘just put it on my head’ Morrison were running amuck in the midfield and forward lines respectively.

The back six held up beautifully in the ‘forward favouring conditions’ with the likes of Rupert ‘Kade Simpson equivalent’ Kebbell and Ben ‘Matt Collister’ Needle leaving the St Kevins forward line unhappy.

The final score was 7.9-51 to 13.12-90 (OGs’ way). After a fantastic game the boys are loking for a seventh consecutive win against st Bernards next week.

Finally, a shout out to Jono ‘mention me in the report’ Thompson.

By Ollie Graham

At 8:30am on a blistering cold morning on Saturday, the Clubbies rocked up to take on West Brunswick at their home ground, Ransford Park. In what was sure to be an epic clash between number 1 and 2 on the ladder, Brunswick had gained the advantage of playing at home on mere percentage. Not only did the day mark finals for the club’s most successful squad, but it also marked the 100th game for none other than Johnny “Chief” Graham, who led the boys out into the middle the get the ball rolling.

Minutes into the first quarter, it was clear that no team would be rolling over, and the game would be hotly contested throughout. Some would blame it on the dew, others on the nerves, but the scrappy start to the game had both teams fired up from the get-go. Some early class from Pat “Pendles” Healy sparked what would become a fruitful connection with a returning Joe “The people’s set shot” Kemp, and relentless effort from the midfield brigade had meant that the game held in the balance heading into the first change.

The boys continued to work hard through to the end of the first half, and the score line of 4.6 a-piece gave somewhat of a false indication to the flow of the game. The OGs had pressed hard, looking to Jimmy “Puopolo” Cave and Jack “biggest hands in the VAFA” Johnson’s intensity at the footy, yet against the flow of the game Brunswick had managed to snag a few.

Coming out of the half-time break the Clubbies knew what they had to do, and it seemed Brunswick did too, coming out red hot. The composure of Donald “what a shoe” Sahlstrom and Zach “Z-Caz” Carroll meant the repeat entries were nought. As the quarter pushed on and the deadlock was still unbroken, Matt “Magic” Graver and Rob “Froffie” Officer found their 6th gear, continually pushing the offense straight through the guts.

The game broke open in the 4th and the OGs were clearly the fitter side. The offense had gone through Kempy all day as he slotted his 5th, and it was clear that the boys were heading to the big dance. In the end, the lads got away to a 25-point win, much to the delight of Coach Lewis Chiodo, who really wanted this week off. A finals bye for the boys means that we face off against the winner of West Brunswick and Monash Blues come Saturday week in the Clubbies Grand Final. Get around us!

From the editor: A big shout-out to Peter Wetherall who filled in as Interchange Steward for the Semi-Final despite his son Harry being overseas in Peru for a couple of weeks! Great to see so many happy volunteers helping the Club run smoothly!

Share us on Facebook              Share us on Google +       View our linked in page