News » Match Reports: Round 15 2019

Match Reports: Round 15 2019

Match Reports: Round 15 2019

Written by John Simson

The men's Seniors travelled to Scotch looking to bounce back from the 124 point defeat they dished out to the boys at home in Round Two. With a host of changes to the team the boys were bullish of getting a result if we brought the correct attitude and applied our game style and pressure in the wet conditions we were greeted with on Saturday afternoon. In what was a big opportunity for the team the side started well in the first quarter with Old Geelong kicking the first goal and settling into a good early contest trailing by just six points at the first break. In what was an even contest Old Scotch managed to kick away in the second term with the help of a slight breeze leading by 18 points at half time.

The third quarter started off slowly with Old Scotch piling on the first couple of goals to extend the margin, however lead by inspirational skipper Scotty “Two Blues” Dixon and Will “full time worker” Sloss the OGs managed to fight our way back into the contest giving ourselves a real shot at the final change, only trailing by 21 points and kicking the last couple goals of the quater. However, in the last quarter Old Scotch showed why they are equal top of the ladder and fighting for promotion piling on six goals to nothing on our end blowing the margin out to ten goals. Despite the result the boys were able to take many positives from the weekend in particular Jack “The Stall Gift” Anderson and Will “Europe lover” Horsfall who were terrific all day.

The men's Seniors turn for home with three matches remaining to stay in Premier B. The boys have regrouped earlier in the week and have had a solid hit out at training looking to gel together as one as we look to rebound in our biggest game of the season this coming weekend. The side faces Parkdale away at the Vultures nest in what should be an even contest as both sides sit on four wins with the winner of this week's game almost certain to avoid relegation. In what is a massive away game for the OGs in a hostile environment all support will be greatly appreciated by the playing group if you can get down on Saturday.

A further good look to the girls competing in the Grand Final on Sunday as they look to bring home our first flag of the season.


Written by Jeremy Nettlefold

The men's Reserves rolled into a dreary Camberwell Sports Ground with anticipation of playing footy in an Antarctic blizzard however the weather gods looked upon us with sympathy with the conditions proving to be a bit nicer than the initial forecast.

Coach O’Brien and Barry thought this week was a great week to put the footy boots back into retirement however the message stayed the same. If we were any chance to knock off the undefeated Cardinals, we needed to be at the same level for the entire game as we were for 3½ quarters against Uni Blacks.

The Reserves started the game strongly taking the game up to a talented Scotch reserves team with Nick “Cold Pies” Morwood, recovering from a damaged pastry shoulder, leading the way in the midfield. Cal “no sun, no play” Wood, making a rare appearance in the Reserves, led from the front all day with two first half goals to give the OGs a slender eight point lead going into half time.

The start of the second half started in bizarre circumstances with Charlie Hawkins receiving a free kick deep in our backline only for him to be marched to the top of the OGs goal square as two of the longest 50m penalties were awarded and ensured the OGs got off to a great start. That was the only highlight for the OGs in the second half with a talented Old Scotch showing us why they are flag favourites kicking seven goals to two and running out 33 point winners.

Andy Leahy showed his ferocious best again with a strong performance in the midfield while it was no surprise to see Matty Planner have one of his best games of year as he cleverly brought a right and left boot this week compared to the two left boots he brought last week (don’t ask).

The Reserves now find themselves in a ‘win or go home’ match against fourth place Parkdale as the fight continues for a finals berth in what is turning out to be the biggest weekend in the clubs Premier B history.


Written by Rhett Nicholas

Three degrees, cold icey winds off Port Phillip Bay and a muddy field greeted the men's Thirds as we arrived in Williamstown to take on the seagulls on their home deck. The last time Old Geelong took on Williamstown, it was a remarkable day not quite twelve months ago when a last minute point sealed our Seniors ascension into Premier B for the first time in over 40 years. This game however had no such impact nor significance to that day, as the Thirds have already sealed a finals birth for the first time since the 2016 flag.

With a few late changes, due to sickness and some other poorly communicated excuses, we rolled out ready to go. The skip won the toss and didn’t take the “Marc Murphy approach” and kick into the wind. Out of the blocks quickly we managed to get a few fast goals and kept the 'gulls to a very slow start mainly thanks to the prowess of our slick moving back line with Nick O’Hare and Chris Gubbins showing their class all day.

The second quarter given the wind, we managed to only secure two points, of which one was rushed, the Gulls made gains and managed to kick back to only be a goal in arrears. They managed to out muscle us through the half forward and with the prevailing winds, used to their advantage, they brought the game back on to more even terms. Going in to the sheds the message was very clear, stick to the game plan, the structures and don’t forget we need to run both ways.

The third quarter we peppered the goals and didn’t take the opportunities to put the game to bed but our midfield and back lines worked tirelessly to make sure we were able to go inside 50 and at least have a chance to pepper the goals. Dec Peacock was able to kick two goals and set up a final quarter that was somewhat heart stopping (well, in the moment it was, but in the context of the game not so much) at times and a little too close for comfort.

With the time ticking down and Williamstown able to get back within another goal we needed a hero and Chris Gubbins stood up, now affectionately known as the 1.2 king, after bringing his own footy to the field in the fourth. Gub provided the run and carry we needed to keep us out of our back half and at least in with a sniff to hold on to a shrinking lead.

Overall we got the points, we were able to sing the song and no water bottles were harmed. A good game to learn from, particularly as we march towards finals. Quick thanks to Toby and Slogs for taking the reigns over the last few weeks! Good luck to the Girls this weekend, GO OGS!


Report Unavailable

Share us on Facebook              Share us on Google +       View our linked in page