News » Match Reports: Round 15 2017

Match Reports: Round 15 2017

Match Reports: Round 15 2017

Thirds - from Nick Simpson

Saturday morning saw the true backbone of OGS football, the almighty 3rds, clash with rival club Ormond. The unheard of 11:40 start did little to appease the sore heads from Friday nights ball, yet the 3rds team sucked it up and put on a show.

With the likes of Will ‘I shouldn’t have thrown that house party’ Beasley, Ollie Le Lievre and Ed Gubbins offering a helping hand to the depleted 3rds team, the team's spirit was lifted.

The first half saw OGS dominate the football, however kicking with gale-force cross winds proved quite difficult for the OGS with 3.11.29 V 2.3.15 not accurately depicting how one sided the game had been.

After a motivational half time speech from part time magnet mover Jimmy Cave, the OGS came out with a bang. Some great work in the middle from Jono Thompson and Ed Gubbins resulted in Ormond seeing little of the ball. This in turn assisted the likes of Josh Archer and Paul Tucker to lift the OGS score to 8.16.64 V 2.4.16 at the final break.

With the OGS in a comfortable lead and the regrets of the last beer at Arc kicking in, the back burners were turned off and the OGS coasted to comfortable win with the final scores being 11.20.86 V 5.5.35.

Under 19's - from Ben Thompson

The Under 19's arrived at Princess Park once again to play Old Haileybury who are positioned at equal top before the beginning of the round. In saying this we were hopeful that the 18 that were out on the park were good enough to get the job done or be competitive. Prior to the game, all that was asked of them was to give a contest. Our boys lived up to that expectation. 

The boys scrapped and chased in order for every possession of the ball with James O'Shea once again playing an outstanding game of footy in and under all day and Matt Planner again giving his all covering the ground and never giving up. Max Johnson was given the role of playing in the ruck and found himself roosting a goal from 55 out to get the OGS going and continued to play well all day. 

The Captain Rupert Kebbell also gave his all in the middle and was hard at it all day. He also leads the team fantastically and is doing the job brilliantly as he has done for the year. 

Down back James Calanchini looked to take the game on under trying circumstances as well as Nic Neeson once again proving vital down back and being his regular calming influence on the ground. Andy Nicholas provided the team with pace and spark through the back half along with Jack Rayson who kept close to his man all day. Digby Sharp again was playing his role where required with stints down back, up forward and in the ruck whilst Angus McKillop was hunting opposition players. 

Paddy Nagle played one of his better games for the year running straight and exploding out of a number of packs. Noah Shaw copping a knee to the face bravely battled on and fought hard. James Sholl worked hard all day up forward and had a high work rate at stages chasing up on the wing along side Killian McGregor who was looking dangerous up forward at stages. Sam Stone fought through a knee problem to continue to slave away in the midfield so credit to him. Charlie Baylis ran himself into the ground down back being under siege at times. Will Clarke ran hard and had a few disposals which was great and Archie Boydell a year 10 from Grammar played his first game and was in the game throughout. 

In the end we weren't good enough but everyone played to their 100% capacity so as I said on Saturday they should hold their heads up high.

A huge thanks from the Under 19's to Jake Ward who ran the boundary for us on Saturday. It was greatly appreciated! 

Share us on Facebook              Share us on Google +       View our linked in page