News » Match Reports: Round 15 2016

Match Reports: Round 15 2016

Match Reports: Round 15 2016

By Will Holmes

As the Seniors continue to campaign for top spot on the ladder the boys knew that Saturday’s game against Whitefriars must not be taken lightly. Having the home advantage they ran out with determination and excitement to win early.

The main focus of the day was to use our run and carry speed through the hands of Carl “Knocked Out“ Joyce until he was unfortunately ruled out of the game as the result of a strike from the opposition. The first two quarters lacked determination and composure from the boys. Scoreboard pressure was lacking and Whitefriars were given a chance. Leading into half time the boys needed to lift, as they were only 10 points clear.

Half time allowed the Seniors to reassess through the sensible words of Coach Knight and Nick Bourke and think about our poor efforts in the first half. It seemed as though they had become a bit complacent and allowed Whitefriars to stay in the game.

The boys came into the third quarter with a different mindset and a positive energy, and started to show what a finals team was made of. Kicking away with 7 goals in the third quarter with help from Callum “just 5 thanks” Wood and a couple from the very, very sneaky Sam Youngman. This meant the boys were 44 points up leading into the final term.

With one quarter remaining the boys knew how important it was to push away from the opposition. A strong backline consisting of Will “mention me in the match report” Sloss was evident on the scoreboard as the boys managed to restrict Whitefriars to 2 goals. With the boys starting to put their thoughts to the ball in the final minutes of the quarter, the work was done for the day on Lady Como with a final score of 106 to 50, securing second spot on the ladder for another week.

By Tom Wigan

After a deflating loss on the hallowed turf of Geelong Grammar the week before, the boys were ready to bounce back on Lady Como. After a stimulating pre game pump up speech from Wrighty and Nick, the lads understood the importance of getting the win to get back into the four.

The pre game speech worked beautifully as the boys came out firing. A strong influence came from Ben ‘harder than a cats head’ Miller out of the middle as well as the return of Jock ‘Wrecking Ball’ Grimshaw providing strong jukes out from full-forward.

Feeling like a utility in the forward line with the likes of Jack ‘the finisher’ McMeel and Jock dominating up forward, we gained a substantial lead going into the second quarter. The boys provided a very similar performance in the second compared to the first, extending our lead to over 50 points going into half time. A strong first half set up a fantastic opportunity to gain some much needed percentage points in the second half.

Coming out with plenty of aggression and attack on the footy the boys started off the third quarter well. Unfortunately there was a big clash of heads between two players 10 minutes into the quarter. Due to precautionary measures an ambulance was called onto the ground to attend to the injured player. The calling of the ambulance unfortunately resulted in the rest of the game being called off. Seeing the seriousness of the concussion caused to the opposition player was a rather sobering thought and really put the game into perspective. After playing a strong half of football, the guys should take plenty of confidence going into next week as we continue our stint for a finals spot.


By Nick Simpson

It was a fresh Morning for the Clubbies as they warmed up on the frosty banks of St James Park, Hawthorn in preparation to take on Swinburne Uni. In true form Rob ‘Froffie’ Officer warmed up with a Berocca and a few hash browns. Duey was welcomed back to the side after being sidelined with injury and Johnny ‘Chief’ Graham was back after a stint in the States. There was an overall buzz around the room as the Clubbies team came together for the last game before finals.

The OGs started tremendously, piling on seven goals in the first while keeping the opposition to just one at quarter time. Harry ‘Spear tackle’ Hosegood started off with a bang ruffling the oppositions’ feathers with some hard hits in the back line.

The second quarter proved costly with a lack of talk and overall intensity resulting in the OGs almost losing the quarter. Swinburne kept OGs within 43 points resulting in a solid spraying from Louie at the half time break.

The 3rd quarter saw the sun come out and the team regroup. Jimmy Cave came out of the blocks firing with the Swinburne team unable to catch him. OGs kicked 58 for the 3rd with Swinburne unable to kick a point.

The fourth quarter was an excellent opportunity for the OGs to continue their good form however reminiscent of the 2nd quarter intensity was down and it was shown on the score board with only 3 goals to Swinburne’s 2 kicked for the term. The final scores were OG’s 24.13-157 Swinburne 7.6-48.

Although a 109 point win was fantastic, had the OGs played a full 4 quarters this lead would have been extended out further and may have potentially secured a big enough percentage to guarantee a home game for the first final against top of the ladder West Brunswick this weekend.

Share us on Facebook              Share us on Google +       View our linked in page