News » Match Reports: Round 14 2018

Match Reports: Round 14 2018

Match Reports: Round 14 2018

Written by Jonnie Read

For consecutive weeks now the men's Seniors were welcomed with pristine football conditions! Understanding the recent rivalry that the OGs and OM’s hold diminished any relevance of the five-position gap in Premier C’s ladder. The Seniors delayed their arrival to Como Park with an attempt at avoiding any distraction from the OGs Reserves versus OGs Reserves 2.0’s.

From the very first bounce Jack Sheridan began feeding the mids similar to his recent stay at Melbourne Zoo that successfully led to early points on the scoreboard. Although our zone appeared non-existent early, the pressure and skills of Johnny Simson and Liam Maiden outside the arc kept the leather spiralling back and led to a four goal lead at the first break.

With a clear rev up from their coach, and just as the boys from Mentone began to march, along came Sam Anderson, with his explosiveness around the contest and accuracy around the goal casuing headaches for the opposition. He lead his opponents to eventually Stawell, finishing with a game high five goals – earning himself Best on Ground.

Scott Dixon's highly anticipated return to the seniors after 18 months off saw the former GGS 1st XVIII Captain light up the second half with “Plugga” like grip as he lead the charge with a game high thirteen marks and three goals.

During a must win game that ebbed and flowed in energy, the members and guests of the Pivot Club had front row seats to a Starsky + Hutch sequel – starring Will Horsfall and Don Nicolson. The pair combined for 50+ disposals, repeatedly linking up and breaking lines with their superior foot skills, stopping any late run that Mentone could throw at us – concluding in an eleven goal victory.

With injuries and absentees over recent weeks, the changing selection has evidently galvanized the playing group on the OGs charge towards finals.

“You lose a soldier; you replace him with another one.” – Alistair Clarkson


Written by Toby Boyle

Sunday footy at 3pm in Glen Waverley!!.....When the women's Seniors prefer Saturday 9am at Lady Como, this match against a winless Mazenod had danger written all over it. 

Kicking against what Assistant Coach Sam Goddard described as a "six goal wind", the Oggettes were well and truly challenged mentally in the first quarter. Mazenod started strongly using the wind to their advantage and began to pepper the Old Geelong defense. Lead by Alice Long on the last line, the backline team of Annabel Rafferty, Alice Gardiner, Libby Graham, Ally Kirkwood, Tess Lawless and Georgia Edwards stood strong and on reflection set up the match for their team by keeping Mazenod goalless by quarter time. At the other end of the ground, Vicky Tan was using her pace to advantage getting on the end of some direct kicks to the forward line whilst the wings of Emily Carr, Ella Scott and Georgia Small were doing their best to run and carry the ball forward into the head wind. A goalless opening term but a fierce battle to open proceedings.

In the second term it was the Oggettes' turn to use the conditions to their advantage. Isy Currenti and Kath Dunn began to get their hands on the ball, using it to effect with long and accurate kicking into Nicole Chodelka and Anna Brodie. When Nicole and Anna couldn't clunk a mark, Vicky and Tashie Montgomery were there for the crumbs. The Mazenod defense held out as much as they could before goals to Emily and Nicole put a nice half time gap on the hosts. A more accurate term would've gapped Mazenod further, however an improvement in scoring shots from previous weeks was the pleasing element of the quarter.

Mazenod needed to make the most of the wind in the third quarter and again they put the Oggettes defense under immense pressure. With Libby moved into the ruck to give Mollie Borschmann a much deserved break and our intercept queen Ally Kirkwood also resting on the pine, the backline had it all to do. Standing up across half back was Raffers who refused to let the ball get past her. A mark and goal to Mazenod closed the margin before Isy found a way to goal into the wind to steady the ship. It took a three-bounce running goal of the year contender from Mazenod to eventually swing the third term in favour of the Nodders, with the inaccurate Oggettes holding a twelve point buffer at the final change.

Encouraged to run, run and run some more, the Oggettes burst out of the gate in the final quarter. With Mazenod struggling to rebound the ball beyond half way, a goal to the visitors was inevitable. Lucy Gubbins got the all important first goal, slotting a close range shot to keep up her goal kicking form and open up a twenty point lead. Mazenod began to lose their structure as the Oggette wingers and mids did as they pleased. A clever kick into space by Tashie provided Ella with a long range goal on the run and with it, pushing the final margin out to five goals.

Emily Carr took out best on ground honours in her recall to the senior team and was ably supported by the midfield group. Overall, a relatively even team performance and a danger game successfully negotiated. With the final home and away match of the year at Lady Como this Saturday, the Oggettes would like the Old Geelong community to come and celebrate a brilliant season to date before our finals campaign begins in August. 


Written by George Chisholm

Turning up on a on sunny morning at Como Park the boys were eager to play back on home soil. Coming up against a depleted Old Mentonians team, we were asked to provide a couple of boys to play for the opposition team.

From the first bounce the boys wanted to set goals that we would play the type of football we have always wanted to play, setting up zones that will help us become a stronger team with only a few games left before the finals.

With a few boys back from injury and also back from overseas trips it was a good chance to get some run back in the legs. Jeremy Nettlefold didn’t look out of place from his three weeks on the sidelines and Tim Breadmore was the same coming back from injury.

After a three goal performance from Rupert Kemp he was asked to put on the opposition jumper for the third quarter. Joe Kemp would then play on his older brother Rupert in a match up for the ages and Joe would eventually finish the game leading the team with five goals.

Even though we won by a huge result, the game was played in great spirit with no one from the Reserves team complaining about playing for Old Mentone. It was a good percentage booster for the team and now we can look ahead to next week and strive for a top four finish.


Written by Robbie Stephen

The women's Reserves took to Central Reserve for a Sunday special against Mazenod, and were lucky enough to be treated to an impressive pre-game show by a very unhappy player in the preceding game. Safe to say, after witnessing quite the spray, we were ready to seize the day.

After a slow start that saw both teams fumble a number of opportunities in the middle of the ground, the Oggettes finally hit their straps, registering three goals for the quarter while kicking into a fierce headwind. Jessie “I wish my first name was also my last” Gleeson came out firing and hit the scoreboard early, while Brooke “I’d rather play golf” McKay cemented her position as the clearance queen by racking up a series of hardball gets all over the ground.

Kicking into the wind during the second quarter, the team put on an absolute clinic, shaking off the Sunday-itis that seemingly plagued their first term. A quick centre clearance by Keeley “100,000km for k33ls” Murrihy out to Carmen “ambiguous accent” Verdeyen on the wing set up our first goal within fifteen seconds of the centre bounce, and from that moment, we never looked back. Sophie “my hero” Hughes showed some of her best form, bagging seven sausage rolls for the day and further extending her lead as the competitions top goal scorer. Perhaps the highlight of the day, if not the season, was Annabel “never complacent” Young’s goal on the final siren. Typifying the collective team spirit that has underpinned the entire Oggettes outfit for the duration of 2018, as Soph lined up for goal number eight, she selflessly hand-balled off to Youngy who came streaming through from the backline – slotting through our 22nd goal, and only her second for the season. Definitely the proudest moment of my life so far, don’t ask me to talk about it in person because I’ll probably cry.

As always, our outside run was the most impressive feature of our game, with the majority of our forward entries coming from hard running by our wingers Charlotte “post game lasagne” Kay and Lucy “gets KFC after the game but then doesn’t share it with the coach?!?!” Rourke. The ever reliable and fantastically vocal Harriet “I’m just here for the free dim sim” McKindlay marshalled the troops through the middle, while the backline was as formidable as ever. Special mention goes to Sophie “hasn’t dropped a mark all season” Wilson and Prue “Monday night run or rum” McKindlay who filled in for Mazenod for the day.


Written by Justin Logan

The men's Thirds were finally blessed with a timeslot Saturday dreams are made of - a 2pm blockbuster at Bulleen Sports Complex against the Baptist might of Old Carey. Sitting comfortably in second place on the ladder, Old Carey was going to be a tough adversary despite an unsurprising OGs upset early in the season. 

Paul Tucker showed promising signs during the warmup, thus was given the huge responsibility of team skipper for the day. A late withdrawal and a miscommunication from Mission Control meant the OGs were left with only two players on the bench compared to Old Carey's full quota of six. As luck would have it, Murphy's Law kicked in three minutes into the opening quarter with two players going down with serious ankle injuries. You do the math.  

Genuinely up against it from the get go, the OGs played harder than their opponent and were unlucky to have some basic decisions go against them, which Old Carey pounced on. Having been out of the game for seven years, Will Read brought not only the away shorts, but the away hair also. Read showed little signs of the ageing process however, dancing around defensive 50 and having a solid contribution. At the end of the first quarter the OGs led by nine points, 21-12. 

In the second quarter the non-rotating midfield patrol led by Tom Nagle, Angus Wylie and Andrew "Constable" Gosnold proved a road block to the ever-rotating Old Carey mids. Their run was complemented by the dash and dare of Lachlan "Candy" Sellar and William "Billy" Staughton. Unfortunately, the OGs were unable to capitalise whilst the opposition piled on three goals of their own. 

The third quarter proved just how competitive the OGs can be with a healthy dose adversity. Cam Sherwin was dominating the ruck contests whilst the skipper threw himself at absolutely everything. Max Johnson went out of the game earlier with an ankle injury and finished the day on the pine. But he would have been safer on the field as Team Manager Logan plonked his backside on said ankle causing much discomfort. Speaking of discomfort, our man Rikefe Ohwosi aka "The Slug", made his most impressive move of his short career at the OGs by disintegrating the clavicle of an unsuspecting Old Carey nipsie with an almighty legal tackle. From there, he sent the ball deep into the forward 50 which resulted in an OG sausage. But of course, another solider went down, with Andrew Gosnold succumbing to a suspected broken rib leaving the team to 17 men.  

In the final quarter Old Carey finally looked to shake off a more than brave Old Geelong outfit who were battered and bruised and covered more than their fair share of kilometers for the day. Whilst it appears our season may have ended prematurely, one number on that team will linger in the memory of every OGs player who donned the hoops on Saturday. Number 55 will be sleeping with the light on until our next encounter in season 2019. 


Written by James Wright

Watching our Under 19’s train and play, you could be forgiven drawing similarities to a raw thoroughbred having its first trials out of the gates: A huge amount of energy, undeniable talent, however generally unable to harness this in the right direction for long periods of time. The 2018 crop of U19’s have as much top end talent as any team in our division, however the colder months and holiday season has severely tested our depth. So it was that only nineteen Oggers took the field against the more fancied and full strength Whitefriars to begin the Pivot Club triple header on Saturday morning.

During the team meeting mid-week, the boys made a pledge to finish the year strongly and while finals may be out of our reach, they wanted the ability to reflect at the end of the year proud of how they acquitted themselves and represented their Club. This renewed level of commitment and application was on show from the opening bounce.

Our centre square combination of Jack Hardy, Harry McKenzie, Patty Whittakers, Jim Mitchell and Trent Tembo cracked in and broke even over the first fifteen minutes, executing the opening instructions perfectly. Every time Whitefriars hit the scoreboard our boys were not fazed as they dusted themselves off and reset. Our Twin Towers – Lucien Bienvenu and Joe Griffiths caused the opposition serious concern, prompting them to drop a loose player back. With two forwards like this in our team we will worry a lot of defences in the remaining rounds of the season.

Killian McGregor may be about 35kg dripping wet but his four repeat efforts to force a stoppage when Whitefriars had numbers at the ball gave the boys a lift towards the end of the first half and instilled some belief that an upset may be on the cards. It is these kind of efforts which don’t get reported when you look at the results, but further highlight the bright futures many of these young players have in the hoops.

The second half started in ominous fashion with the bigger bodies of the Whitefriars forwards opening up a twenty point lead. In previous weeks, this may have been enough for the boys to drop their heads and let the game slip away, however, a new found resilience steeled the boys as they responded with four goals in the space of ten minute to go into three-quarter ime with our noses in front. Our best on ground Lucas Shugg ran off halfback all day, showing a level of physicality and maturity around the contest to suggest that senior football is not beyond him. His partner in crime down back Lochie Radcliffe provided great run and carry, repelling numerous opposition inside 50’s.

In spite of a mountain of possession in the last fifteen minutes, having only one on the bench began to take its toll in the final quarter and the end result ultimately didn’t go our way. The boys fell short, but by a bare eight points against a side firmly entrenched in the top four. The boys walked off with their heads held high in the knowledge that if they bring the same level of commitment and energy the next win is not far away. I would encourage all OGFC supporters to get to Alec Gillon Oval this Saturday at 9.20am to cheer on the future of the OGs.

Share us on Facebook              Share us on Google +       View our linked in page