News » Match Reports: Round 13 2018

Match Reports: Round 13 2018

Match Reports: Round 13 2018

Written by Callum Wood

The more you lose, the more you want to win. After three consecutive losses, culminating in a heart-breaking defeat at the hands of PEGS, the men's Seniors were desperate to reaffirm their position in the top four against Marcellin in Bulleen. Arriving to blue skies and sunshine, coach Nick Bourke expressed concern that sitting in the sun watching the Reserves would cause fatigue amongst his players. With pale skin and (arguably) ginger undertones, I was more concerned about the ramifications of forgetting the SPF 50+ in the glorious winter conditions.

The OGs started the match at an intensity worthy of its importance, however the Eagles were first to hit the scoreboard with two quick majors. The boys kept their composure and soon started to gain control of the contest, led by the midfield grunt of Ed Keach and Jacob Jess. Scoreboard pressure started to be applied as liberally as the Neutrogena® Sunscreen in the changerooms before the game, with Josh Hoevenaars and veteran Colby O’Brien kicking straighter than the side-part in Jimmy Wright's hair after a pre-Pivot visit to Valiant Barbers.

The 17-point lead at quarter time soon blew out to five goals as the OGs picked up where they left off in the second term. Sam Anderson gave the Eagles defenders plenty of headaches with his speed; a characteristic so rarely associated with those who wear long-sleeves at the OGFC. Jack Sheridan was strong around the ground and delicate with his taps, leading the midfield to dominance in the clearances. The only sour note was the concussion suffered by Josh Hutley who was on a BOG trajectory in a shut-down role on Marcellin’s most dangerous midfielder – it was his sixth brutal tackle early in the second quarter that was his downfall after what had been a brilliant start to the game.

A 20-point lead at the main interval was pleasing, but the boys felt somewhat short changed after registering fifteen scoring shots for the half – only 435 shots less than the OGs Ball photo album on Facebook. Early goals in the third quarter demonstrated the desperation of the team to avoid another tragic defeat, with Matt Bird adding to a goal tally that’s nearly as impressive as he would have you believe. Johnny Simson overcame a mild case of ‘Brisbane Belly’ following a visit to Queensland during the bye, gathering a lazy 35 disposals to go with his couple of fresh kilos. Will Horsfall was enormous in the backline, ably assisted by his defensive comrades including Sandon James and Ed Long

A six goal win was a great outcome for a side that needed to bounce back, but we’re acutely aware that it needs to be only the beginning of a string of victories to guarantee a finals ticket. Another huge game looms this weekend against familiar rival Old Mentonians in front of what will be a parochial Pivot Club luncheon urging the boys to victory. The more you win, the more you want to win...


Written by Toby Boyle

Heading into the final three weeks of the home and away season, the women's Seniors knew that just one win would lock away a finals berth. Hoping to get that one win against Old Camberwell proved to be quite a challenge.

Last time in, the Oggettes started like a house on fire before holding out Old Camberwell to eventually win by just under four goals. This time however it wasn't as straight forward as the Wellers come to play from the start. The first quarter set the scene for what would end up being a frustrating day for the Oggettes. A brilliant Lucy Gubbins goal had the Oggettes in front at quarter time but that is where it ended.

Old Camberwell claimed the lead in the second quarter and refused to give it up. Tashie Montgomery and Vicky Tan were toiling away inside 50, refusing to allow the Wellers to run out of defense easily while Ally Kirkwood was her usual self across half back, intercepting and driving the Oggettes forward. By half time it was Old Camberwell by five points.

The third term was see-sawing with neither team able to break the deadlock until a crafty Olivia Williamson snap out of the pack dragged the Oggettes back to within a point. At the other end, Alice Long was denying everything the Wellers could throw at the Oggettes in the air and on the ground.

Down by two points at the final change, the Oggettes just needed to hit the front to break Old Camberwell's stubbornness. The girls had plenty of chances to do so but a goal was not forthcoming with Old Camberwell eventually sealing the Oggette fate with the only goal of the quarter.

A couple of sensational if not flukey goals from the scoreboard pocket was enough for Old Camberwell to hang on but not before a tense three quarters of football played out. The Oggettes can keep their heads held high with another match that highlighted their commitment to four quarters but ultimately unable to take their chances inside 50. 

News filtered through that St Mary's had defeated Collegians, meaning after the 2017 heartbreak of missing finals, the Seniors had qualified for the 2018 finals series! A well earned and history making moment for the club.


Written by Jonathon Thomson

On an almost perfect day for footy, the men’s Reserves made their way out to Marcellin College to take on their Old Boys in a clash of two finals contenders. After a loss to a lower ranked side in PEGS the game prior the boys were keen to bounce back and get the win.

With some notable in’s coming into the side such as Scott Dixon and George Chisholm the boys were confident that the ability of the team would be far greater than that of Marcellin. However, without the usual depth in the club’s ruck stocks Charlie Hawkins, Joe Kemp and others were forced higher up the ground and the boys were aware that it was going to be a hard-fought game down at Marcellin College.  

The first quarter came and went and it was a tight affair with some good attacking football being played by both sides. The outside run of Will Simson and Tom Wilson along with solid defence from the likes of Rupert Kemp and Tom Chisholm gave the boys the lead at quarter time by seven points.

The second quarter was where it all went south for the men’s Reserves though. An eight goal to one term put Marcellin well and truly ahead and forced the boys to dig deep in the second half.

With some inspiring second half performances from the likes of Oli Graham and Brad Gore in the middle putting in the hard in and under work, the boys were able to keep the scoring to a minimum with two goals being kicked by both sides in the second half.

A 37-point loss was the end result for the boys and it was a tough loss to take against another team who are pushing for finals. However, there were many things to take out of the game and the men’s Reserves will look to bounce back in the coming weeks and push onto finals.


Written by Toby Boyle

Perfect weather greeted the women's Reserves at Como Park and they didn't waste it! Old Camberwell could only muster up eighteen players so the Oggettes agreed to play seventeen on seventeen on the ground with a full bench. The wide open spaces of Lady Como was always going to test the Wellers, let alone the return of Anna Brodie, back after finger surgery had sidelined her for a month.

With the supply from the midfield, Anna was getting her hands on most forward entries and was causing the Old Camberwell defenders all sorts of problems. Getting amongst the first quarter goal kickers was Olivia Gleeson who was coming off a six goal game the week before. If Anna and Olivia failed to mark the ball, Sass Le Lieve, Jessie Gleeson and Georgia Cerutti were happy to swoop on the crumbs.

By half time, the Oggettes had opened up a ten goal lead whilst keeping Old Camberwell scoreless in the process. Anytime the Wellers got past the middle, Mani Kolomanski was there to snuff it out and pump the ball back into the forward half. If Anna was playing well on her return, Mani was playing like she hadn't missed a beat after returning from NYC.

With the game well and truly under wraps, the midfield group lead by Emily Carr, Charlotte Kay and Alex Cooper began to run riot. With Helen Salter giving them first use around the ground and getting busy herself, the Wellers midfield could do nothing but watch the ball sail into the Oggettes forward line time and again. Some last quarter inaccuracy prevented an ever bigger margin as the Reserves claimed yet another triple figure victory, 100-0.


Written by Martyn Liekefett

Returning to Como Park for the spectacle that had pure sunshine, a crisp temperature, and a lack of wind, it was quickly said that this has been the best day of the year weather wise.  It’s easy to say that the true winner on days like these is the sport of football.

The men's Thirds had a big face off against competition leaders St Bernard’s Old Boys with the boys needing to rally to the cause to keep in touch with the top four.

In typical fashion, we kicked the dew off the field for the first quarter, which lead to some slippery football. A strong ruck had us winning most stoppages which set the platform for a strong mid contention of Calla, who seemed to have the ball tied to a string throughout the day. The OGs were up at quarter time four goals to two, thanks to some clinical shots made by Rob Officer and Nicko who was looking like he was sponsored by Elastoplast. 

After some quarter time encouragement by Sam Caldow, who was struggling at times to find the right words, Lachlan Price – the big freight train that he is – wound up momentum and started to display an unbelievable effort for the day which some rumour to be within the 40 disposals. The second quarter saw St Bernards close the gap bringing the score to 6.3-39 – Old Geelong, 5.7-37 – St Bernards.

The half time break saw us channelling our so far successful dominance as we led out in the third quarter with composure and teamwork that saw us take our lead out to ten points.

When it counted in the fourth quarter the level headedness of Will Evans, Josh Gilbert, Angus Wylie and Paul Tucker kept the OGs powering ahead to seal the deal on our home deck against this #1 side with a successful win of 10.6-66 to 7.12-54. 

The Thirds boys now have to dig deep and win the remaining three games to have a chance to play September football but after the display on the 14th of July I have no doubt we can do it.


Report Unavailable

Share us on Facebook              Share us on Google +       View our linked in page