News » Match Reports: Round 13 2016

Match Reports: Round 13 2016

Match Reports: Round 13 2016

By Sam Youngman

In a week where the top end rival teams were battling it out, the boys set off with the mindset to solidify a top two spot against a rejuvenated Prahran at Toorak Park. With Prahran coming off a massive upset win over Ivanhoe in the previous week the boys knew it would be no walk in the park to get the much desired 4 points.

It became evident in the warm-up that no one had abused the week off, only used the time to restore their bodies in the right way, as the boys were ON! Under the strict guidance of The Professor we were paced through a warm up that led to a feeling determination and hunger once gathered back in the change rooms. There was a strong focus to clinch the first goal of the game and that was achieved, even through some rushed play that sent the ball flying into the 50 seemingly chasing Jock “Thanks For Ya Help” Grimshaw in Ibiza. A four goal to zip first quarter had the boys in a comfortable position at the first break.

It seemed as though everyone became slightly complacent at this stage allowing Prahran to swing the game on its head and get themselves right back in it in the second quarter with little advancement on the scoreboard on our behalf. This generated a spark amongst the group and in particular Josh “my b&f odds are shortening each week” Hutley who acted as a brick wall in defense, rebounding anything that came in with that raking left boot! Composure is often a huge focus amongst the playing group had not been evident in the game thus far. Thankfully this changed as Colby “quarter-back mid” O’Brien and Cal “soft but can run” Wood linked up beautifully, damaging Prahran with some clean skills that hurt them on the scoreboard.

With one quarter remaining and a top two spot on the line, it became very apparent as to how important the last quarter was. With Rupert “that was goal of the year” De Crespigny and Ryan “still not” Parsons opening the account with two sensational running goals it became a tough mountain to climb for Prahran. And that it was, OGs running away with a 4 goal win that has the team positioned second on the ladder with a huge game against Therry next week down at Geelong Grammar. A win would see the oggs maintain second spot a game clear and percentage in second!

By Ed Manton

Coming into the game, the Ressies had an opportunity to solidify themselves in the top 4 with a win over Prahran Assumption. The day started well with Chris “Plugger Lockett” Gubbins kicking the first goal for the day after a classic question-mark-drill styled goal. After which Prahran had the majority of the play to finish 3 goals up at quarter time.

The second quarter continued to be a poor showing by the oggers as Charles “forever bulking” Burbury got stuck into their full forward, and after a number of ‘accidental’ hits while contesting with Burba, death threats were thrown around by the elderly statesman while lining up to goal… no such retaliation ensued. Unfortunately the OGs struggled to hold their form, which allowed Prahran to kick away to a 9-goal lead at the main break.

After a half time speech from Lefty that could’ve made Harry “Kicked in biscuit tin” Wynn-pope get a haircut, the OGs came out firing and the comeback had begun. With John “Mudpig” Forster and Nick “Pizza or Pasta” O’Hare regaining control in the back half it gave the now unstoppable Charles Burbury the opportunity to snag a couple for the OGs. With Harley “Smash” Beaumont and Will “The Saturday Specialist” Sharp coming into their own through the middle, owning the pill at all stoppages it allowed the OGs to press the now worried Prahran Assumption side who were tiring under their 10+ years of added ‘experience’ per man.

Unfortunately for the boys the deficit from the first half was too great to overcome and we fell short but only 5 goals having been down by 10 at one point in the second quarter. Four-quarter efforts from now on and the flag could be ours.

By Will Noall

With finals hopes still alive and the boys wanting some payback for our last encounter (a 4 point loss) with De La Salle we were set for a huge clash. There was a great deal of confidence going into the game, with Dave Ennels making his long awaited return from the US and he did not disappoint - winning the first clearance of the game and continuing to put on a clinic for the continuum of the game.

With the sun shining and lady Como looking delicious we came out firing with the midfield leading the way and winning 90% of the clearances. With the likes of O'shea, Breadmore and Young getting the ball into the forward 50 hard and fast Jonno 'loves a celebration' Thompson and Henry 'put on a few kg's over summer' Brayshaw were set for a field day. With a really solid first quarter we went into the first break with a 25 point lead and a lot of faith that we could really put this top 4 De La Salle team away in the next quarter.

Despite a couple of hick ups in the first few minutes of the second term that cost us a goal or two we managed to wrestle back the momentum and quickly develop on our initial lead. Despite Thorpe's miso not even being present on game day, he still provided a dominant first half, with close to 30 touches and plenty of tackles going into the main break.

The third quarter proved similar to the previous two, with our 30 point lead being pushed out even further. But it was Tim Breadmore who supplied the highlight of the game, managing to somehow get those slender limbs of his above a huge marking pack. Unfortunately... The mark was not taken, but nonetheless, I have no doubt he will be wooing many women with this 'almost' claim to fame for many Saturday nights to come.

Heading into the final term, the boys knew that the win was ours but we knew that it was important we finished off the game in a strong fashion. And that's exactly what happened with Jonno Thompson continuing to back his left boot in and kick another couple of goals - with tremendous celebrations and fist pumps to a crowd that simply just wasn't there.

Ending up with a more than comfortable 45 point win over a team that has proven it is a top 4 team gives the Unders great confidence going into another must win against Old Xavs at GGS next weekend.

By Josh Sumura

For a week that was wet, windy and Melbourne weather at its finest, Saturday shaped to be a sunny and clear day for a 9:20am start. With only 16 UHS players the Clubbies decided to make it a “fair game” by taking two of our players off the field. However, UHS crumbled by being scoreless all day.

The first half allowed Ben ‘Beaujolais Only’ Thomson’s to demonstrate his talents, proving that he was clearly not just your regular coach. Assisting him all day was power couple Henry ‘Ash is watching’ Hewitson and Aidan ‘My walking stick is better than Gandalf’s’ Sujecki whose recent inclusions into the Clubbies side have been more than serviceable.

Second half highlights included Peter ‘Better than Arch’ Grouis demonstrating that 9 goals alone showed the competition that there’s more than one key forward within the Oggery, as well as Robbie ‘Sooooo Much Tape’ Officer getting back to his best form much like his Under 19 days.

Overall, the vibe of the day was that everyone played as a team and unselfish football except for returning injured player Rhett ‘Chats McGee’ Nicholas.

Big shout out to Jimmy ‘Will Play Finals’ Legoe for donning the white umpires’ shirt all day, the physios and Lewi’s daughter Lisa for helping running water every week.

Share us on Facebook              Share us on Google +       View our linked in page