News » Match Reports: Round 12 2019

Match Reports: Round 12 2019

Match Reports: Round 12 2019

Written by Hugh Fitzpatrick

Old Geelong crumbles yet again.

In what was a do or die clash for Old Geelong, the men's Seniors failed to fire a shot in what was a must win clash at home. Given the closeness of the ladder this season, Old Geelong had an opportunity to put themselves two games clear of relegation however were caught napping as Monash Blues ran all over the home side, eventually winning by 70 points.

The first half was full of ebbs and flows with the home side failing to capitalise on early scoring opportunities whilst the same couldn’t be said for Monash Blues with their speed and skill running rings all around the Old Geelong side.

With Old Geelong’s ruck stocks taking a hit during the week, first gamer Cal Andrews performed gallantly against a dominant Premier B ruckman who's synergy with his fellow midfielders started shining through as their midfield started gaining complete control in the second term.

Will Sloss and Ed Keach burrowed in all day however our inability to benefit from our hard work was again frustrating for all onlookers down at Como Park. Old Geelong’s incapacity to hit basic targets frustrated coaches and fans as Old Geelong went into half time six goals down.

Unfortunately it didn’t get any better for the home side, with players fitness put to the test following a fortnight off. George Chisholm and Joe Couch broke down yet again in the third quarter with the pair continuing to showcase their inability to finish a full game of football.

A grand final rematch beckons for Old Geelong this week against arch rivals Fitzroy. If the side wins this match away from home it is safe to say the side will go into the ball in hot form.


Written by Toby Boyle

A tough day at the office for the senior Oggettes as they met both the wind and a clinical Caulfield team at Glenhuntly Park. 

Emily Hatty and Ursi Van Dyk made their Senior debuts after some brilliant form in the Reserves. Atrocious conditions for footy made for a scrappy affair all day and the Oggettes were up against it when Caulfield won the toss at elected to kick with a ten goal gale!

Early doors the hoops backline was holding up despite Caulfield continuously peppering the goals. Alice Long had the unenviable task of kicking in and showed great resilience and discipline in sticking to the plan of kicking to the non scoring pocket. On the rare occasion that the Oggettes did break beyond half way, an unlucky bounce thwarted our only attempt on goal. The Fields with a 3.7 to 0.0 lead at the first break.

All footballers have experienced a wasted quarter of football with the wind behind their back at some stage in their career. The second quarter of footy unfortunately gave the Oggettes their first taste of this disappointment as a more determined Caulfield team outworked the hoops. An Anna Brodie snap from the pocket bounced through in a rare highlight for the Oggettes for the half. Caulfield simply wanted the ball more and were willing to do anything to deny the Oggettes possession and space. To the credit of Caulfield, they outscored the Oggettes into the wind and effectively shut the door on the match in doing so.

With nothing but pride left to play for after half time, a more committed Oggettes team started playing the football they can. Lead by Alex Cooper and Kath Dunn in the absence of an injured Brooke McKay, the Oggettes midfield started to get first use of the ball and run the ball into the wind. Caulfield were always going to score as the wind picked up even more, however the contrast in effort and committment from the hoops to that of the first half was pleasing. Several Oggettes were running themselves into the ground to make up for the first half and an already small interchange shrunk as Jot Gill and Em Carr suffered leg injuries by the final change.

Dani Trott bobbed up to give the Oggettes their second goal of the match early in the last but that was to be the last major of the day as both teams were clearly spent from the physicality of the match. Em Hatty was solid in her first senior game whilst Emma Calvert and Annabel Rafferty worked tirelessly to stop the Fields in their tracks everytime the ball entered the back half (which was a lot).

A tale of two halves for the Senior Oggettes who travel to Mentone this Saturday for their final match of the year. The proud group will bounce back!


Written by Matt Kirkwood

After the newly implemented double bye round by the VAFA, the men's Reserves were determined to continue their great form and keep their finals chances alive by beating Monash Blues on a sunny Saturday at Como Park.

The first quarter provided a slow start which lead to both teams missing chances in front of goal. However, Sandon James finally broke the deadlock off the back of some handy work from the midfield.

The second quarter was more lively as the Ressies put the foot on the throat and started to kick away from the Blues. The backline held up their end of the bargain by keeping the Blues scoreless for the next two quarters which was led by some sublime defensive work from Harry McDonald and Andy de Fegely.

In the middle, it was Andy Leahy and Sam Clements bustling through packs whilst Cam Lack and Will Griffiths gave us first use out stoppages with their ruck craft. There were options galore finding targets inside 50, where Harry Gubbins and Xav Blackley were causing havoc for their opposing backs. Dillon Armstrong also got a major after coming back from injury and Jez Nettlefold could have ended with six goals for the day but only managed two goals four behinds.

The Blues managed to score their first and only goal in the last quarter whilst the Reserves narrowly extended their lead by kicking two goals. It was great to see the player/coach combo of Colby O’Brien and Jason Barry winding back the clock to display their on-field experience and help the Reserves to a much needed victory. Ben Seamer played a great game despite playing through a suspected fractured arm injury and Will Simson was also an asset with his unselfish and slick play. A great win to the Reserves who now sit fifth on the ladder and just a game behind third and fouth. An even bigger game awaits next week facing our Premier C Grand Final nemesis Fitzroy at Brunswick Street Oval.


Written by Georgia Rule

With the season drawing to a close the Oggettes have made it clear they are not finished yet, positioning themselves as key contenders for another Finals Series.

Another 8am start saw a very sleepy team of girls dribble into Glen Huntley Oval. After a rather lacklustre warm-up a switch seemingly flicked as the siren went and the girls were off and away.  The following 80 minutes of play were an absolute team performance and systematic demolition of third placed Old Caulfield. As the Oggettes continue to improve week after week, it’s rewarding to see all of our skills and training coming together.

With coach Tilly Arthur unable to split a standout six players for the day, this match report will follow in the same vein to avoid going on for pages of just how great each of the 22 players were.

Intensity and effort were up in the first half with the girls tearing away to an early lead.  Old Caulfield were not just going to roll over however and kept at us all day.  Our backline maintained their structure and composure keeping Old Caulfield scoreless for two quarters of the day.  Momentary lapses in concentration saw a few loose players snag a couple of goals but the Oggettes quickly regained their structure and sent the ball straight back to our forward 50.

A four goal third quarter saw us head into the three-quarter time break with an even points to goals ratio (a sign we are slowly but surely improving).  It was a real team effort from our forwards and mids, with smart forward entries and play.  The forwards held their space all day while the mids formed their impenetrable wall around the 50. 

As we entered the fourth quarter, a very temperamental wind brought back nightmares of four-goal-winds past. The backs remained strong and switched on, shutting down any last ditch attempts from Old Caulfield.  The forwards and mids did not relent, keeping the forward pressure on despite the wind.  Finishing the day with eight goals from seven goal kickers which highlights the team effort involved and is something the girls should be proud of.

Thanks to our ever faithful volunteers Nick Edwards and Harry Wetherall.  A massive thank you also to Kath Dunn and Caz Edwards for arriving early to help out before the senior’s match. And last but definitely not least to Sass Le Lievre, who retired injured at half time.  Not content with resting on the sidelines, Sass became runner and water girl for the second half epitomising the Oggettes team spirit.


Written by Sam Walsh

Saturday 20th July marked the return of footy for the mighty men's Thirds coming off the back of a double bye which proved to be thoroughly enjoyed by the fellas as most came back more piss-fit above all else. Most except Toby Blatchford, who used this time to send selfies to the group boasting about his 3 kilometre runs he’d been striding out at a pace only a mother could praise.

Needless to say things started off a bit shaky down at the Carey Sporting Complex with many of the boys either getting lost, shaking off some dust or trying to remember the names of the several new faces who joined our illustrious squadron this week. However it didn’t take long for Angus Perry to herd the Thirds in and give them the guidance they needed with what was about to take place.

With many of the Thirds better players being promoted to superior OGs sides and even more leaving the boys for dust on their extended Euro trips, we knew that everyone was going to have to dig deep and work together to come out on top for this one.

With Carey electing to kick with the wind in the first quarter it was clear that the Thirds begun their quest to victory from the get-go. Our lord and saviour David Ruby got on the board early kicking two of his six goals to match what Carey had to offer. Brutes of the team in Will May and Charlie Blond came out of the gates firing, crashing body’s and letting the Carey opposition know early on that they were not here to mate with spiders.

As the second quarter kicked off the Thirds showed a new sense of prowess. Backmen Nick O’Hare and Oli Le Lievre were an absolute force, rebounding all that came their way. James Potter also joined in on the brigade down back as he put the multiple vino’s from the night before behind him.

With the rays shining down the half time siren was music to the boys ears as the majority had blown up and were in desperate need of some H2O, electrolytes and protein bars. Though after a short break we were back to our good selves which found us back on the field ready to grab the second half by the horns.

Lionel Goodwin did exactly that and went beast-mode in the second half with Carey not being able to hold onto the slippery man, as did Andy Faulkiner and Gus Orford who knocked up pill all day. Frazer Stewart showed some brilliant patches as himself and Carey’s ‘Fridge’ went head-to-head in a battle for the ages. Though this was shadowed by Stinga May’s 100m penalty for being a sniper.

After a rough third quarter kicking just two goals to Careys four the Thirds were in serious need of a rev up speech. The boys looked to their Player/Coach Toby Blatchford who provided us with more of a sex ed lesson than a rev up speech – but boy did it work.

A flurry of goals followed this with Ruby finishing off his crucial six snags and Lional setting sail to one from 60 metres which left us and our crowd of four people stunned. The Wiz Harry Jess took flight for his eighth attempted specky of the game and nearly reeled it in whilst Taylor Mcnab did some nice mopping up of his mess. The skipper Angus Perry did all he could down back to get the boys over the line and credit to him and all involved we got the job done taking out Carey on their home soil for the three point win and illustrating that we don’t need the likes of Macca, Higgo and the Euro cowards to get the job done.

The Thirds head back to ‘The Lady Como’ next week in the 2pm time slot to take on top of the table Hawthorn. Hopefully this will give Rhett Nicholas and the team some insight as to whether the lid is truly off (or not) in this not to be missed battle of the heavyweights.


Report Unavailable

Share us on Facebook              Share us on Google +       View our linked in page