News » Match Reports: Round 11 2018

Match Reports: Round 11 2018

Match Reports: Round 11 2018

Written by John Simson

The men’s Seniors heading into Saturday were sitting at 7-3 and looking to rebound following our disappointing 14-point loss to Old Camberwell the previous week.  The game also took on extra significance coming up against Fitzroy seeing that they had thrashed us by 89 points early in the season. On a cold wet afternoon at Lady Como, knowing that Fitzroy simply didn’t rate us, there was extra emphasis placed on pressure and our tackle numbers from the coaching staff in the hope that this would stifle Fitzroy's slick ball movement through the corridor and allow our game to get up and running.

Lead by Jacob Jess in the middle the first quarter saw the OG's come out firing and play some good hard contested football. The tackle pressure was evident and the boys seemed up for the contest leading at the first break by six points. Under instruction from midfield coach Nick Abbott, and lead by Vice Captain Tom Balcombe, the first fifteen minutes of the second quarter saw the OG’s assert dominance on the match. The midfield group pressured and hunted the Fitzroy ball carrier which resulted in sloppy turn overs from the opposition and allowed the OG’s forwards such as Andy Leahy and Matthew Bird to get on the end of the team’s good work which helped creat3 a four goal lead at the mid-point of the second term.

However, like much of the season to date the boys had a fifteen minute mental lapse and the work rate across the board dropped slightly, leaving the door open for Fitzroy to pounce. This allowed them to kick the last three goals of the second term and chip away at the margin we had worked so hard to create. At the main break the lead was just four points.

To Fitzroy’s credit they came out firing in the third term and disappointingly the boys weren’t able to match their intensity at the contest and hardness at the ball. Three goals to our zero in the quarter saw them hold a sixteen point lead at the final change. The final quarter saw a few positional changes with new small forward Josh Hutley pushed forward to impact the score board and to the boy’s credit we lifted and started to get on top of the game in all areas like early in the match. Thanks to influential swing man Will “Slooba” Sloss who was best afield we managed to cut the margin to four points with only minutes to play.

Unfortunately, the result didn’t go the OG’s way but the boys effort was much better than the previous week which was seen in our tackle count of 86 for the game (our season’s best). If the boys are able to cut down on a few sloppy turnovers and silly free kicks I’m sure this week we will be able to return to the winners list and snap our two game losing streak. Coming up against a PEGS side who will be looking to get one back on us following our defeat of them out at the Geelong Grammar and with only five rounds to go this week is seen as a very important match in the context of our season approaching another bye round. I urge all supporters to try and get out there if available this week as all the support is greatly appreciated by all the boys and girls at the Club. 


Written by Toby Boyle

West Brunswick went into this match undefeated and full of confidence after accounting for the women's Seniors by 82 points earlier in the season at Como Park. Despite missing a number of quality players, the Oggettes looked to a handful of players who had been performing exceptionally well in the Reserves and the inclusion of Emily Carr, Tess Lawless, Olivia Williamson, Keeley Murrihy and Alice Long for their senior debuts proved the catalyst for one of the better team performances of the year.

The girls were encouraged to take the game up to West Brunswick in an attempt to disrupt their game style whilst playing to our strengths. It didn't take long for Isy Currenti, Kath Dunn and Sharni Godfrey to inject themselves into a hot contest. Claire Moore and Libby Graham in the ruck were giving those three girls either first use or a solid contest despite significant height disadvantages and this resulted in the ball spending significant time in our forward half. Despite the territory control, it was West Brunswick who struck first and went into the first break a goal up. A similar pattern to the previous few rounds was apparent as the Oggettes were dominating play without scoreboard reward.

West Brunswick threatened to blow the game apart in the second quarter just as they did at Como but Alice Long, Amelia Cronin and Ally Kirkwood had other ideas, throwing their bodies into aerial and ground ball contests alike. The match turned just before half time when a strong spoil form Alice resulted in a coast to coast goal to Lucy Gubbins. This time around, the Oggettes weren't getting blown off the park, they were full of running and within striking distance of West Brunswick, only twelve points down at half time.

Encouraged to be pleased with their efforts but not satisfied, the Oggettes returned to take their team game to the next level with Laura Hallam, Emily Carr and Ella Scott owning the wings, and Emily getting forward to kick her first senior goal. Phoebe Ulrick was proving to be a menace around goals, eventually slotting a ripper from the pocket to narrow the margin to just two points. Like the Reserves, the Seniors didn't want the siren to come as West Brunswick were on the ropes. The break gave West Brunswick a chance to take stock. The final quarter was frantic with the Oggettes having plenty of opportunities to hit the front but unable to do so. In the end it was West Brunswick's leading goal scorer who stood strong in the pack and kicking truly to ice the game.

A brilliant team performance but one that got away!


Report Unavailable


Written by Toby Boyle

The last time the women's Reserves fronted up at McAlister Oval in Parkville, we were greeted by a 'category 5' cyclone and were bundled out of finals contention by West Brunswick. This time around it was a battle for top spot between the Oggettes (1st) and the Westies (2nd) on the Premier B Blue Reserves ladder and that is how this enthralling match turned out.

The first half was end to end with both teams trading goals and some bone crunching tackles lead by midfield jet Lizzie Slattery. Lizzie was leading the way in clearances as well, as she consistently willed her team forward. By the half, nothing separated the two teams with Phoebe Chirnside booting two goals before being felled and taken from the ground. 

The girls burst out of the gate in the third term piling on the pressure on West Brunswick and asking them the question of whether they could go with us. A line breaking run and goal to Olivia Gleeson added to the Westies pain who were hanging on for the three-quarter time siren. By the final change the Oggettes had opened up a fourteen point lead and were seemingly in control. The next twenty minutes however belonged to the home team as West Brunswick dominated the contested ball and elected to kick long into their dominant tall forward. 

A four goal to no score final term gave West Brunswick a hard fought win, inflicting the women's Reserves their second loss in a row. Despite the disappointment of losing, the Reserves had shown for large periods of the match why they have been the league leaders for the entire season and will be very confident if and when the two teams meet again. 

For the Oggettes, Georgia Cerutti provided plenty of energy and link work up forward whilst inclusions Judy McKay and Erin Strong were ever present around the ground all day. Sass Le Lievre played her best game for the year, booting a goal and applying exceptional forward line pressure.


Written by Charles Burbury

The men's Thirds had a bit of a rough day in the office down at Marcellin. With a few away and a few injuries creeping in during this cold Victorian winter we all knew it was going to be a long morning.

The first quarter started well with two goals under our belt but sadly there were not too many more to follow after that. Wertherimer, Wylie and Tosh all played out of their skin with Rippeto, Baker and Hosking all doing the right things on the field as well.

It was great seeing “please don’t” Rob “my Office”rs getting two goals on the board and Jack Johnson getting a “banana pancakes” we are all “sitting, waiting, wishing” he will be back next week because we are always “ better together”. All in all there was some really good play and we will bounce back this week.


Written by James Calanchini

The Unders travelled to Pitcher Park to take on Parkside who were sitting ninth on the ladder and with high expectations everyone was ready for a big game. With both teams coming out firing the OG's kicked the first three goals of the game and started well with Jack Roe kicking two goals early on.

However, with Parkside trying to get physical they got back in the game and it became a real contest with both teams going goal for goal throughout the game. Parkside were coming back strong getting within three goals however through the likes of Tom Barr-Smith and Harry Mckenzie who were the two best players on the ground they held them off and we ended up winning the game by 27 points.

It is important to note that last time both these teams played against each other Parkside won by 60 points so it was a massive turn around which is the result of the hard work that the boys have been putting in during training. Overall, it was a hard fought contest that could have gone either way but in the end Old Geelong kept Parkside goalless in the third quarter, which was probably what won them the game. They take on Old McKinnon next week at Como Park who sit top of the ladder, which is set to be a great challenge for the Unders who will look to continue their winning form.

Share us on Facebook              Share us on Google +       View our linked in page