News » Match Reports: Round 10 2018

Match Reports: Round 10 2018

Match Reports: Round 10 2018

Written by Jack Anderson

You would think sitting 7-2 and in third spot on the ladder after the first half of the season would be enough motivation in itself to ensure serious intensity against an Old Camberwell side hosting us at the Gordon Barnard Reserve, a roomy ground that was in good condition despite the rain. Sadly we were flat from the start and didn't really find any spark or continual run until the last quarter when we were four goals down.

Senior Coach Nick Bourke bemoaned a lack of leadership which reflected on all of us, with few prepared to draw a line in the sand and make a statement to Old Camberwell. A few boys won plenty of the ball but our decision-making was off for most of the day and we kept missing tackles, particularly against a couple of opponents who were far from immaculate physical specimens, yet both of whom won too much easy ball.

The annoying part is we know we had more talent than our opposition but that doesn't count for much if they want it more. It was one of those losses that sits in your gut because you know with a little extra from all of us we could have won and gone to a very clear third behind Williamstown and Fitzroy.

We play the latter this week, a team that thrashed us by 89 points in Round Three and one that has made it known they don't rate Old Geelong as any form of threat to their march back to B Grade. "They play bruise-free football" was a comment made by one of their players after that loss and as such their focus is very much on Marcellin in Round Twelve because they don't consider the OGs a genuine challenge.

I know if we turn up like we did against Old Camberwell then we will get flogged again but I also know that if we give it to them from the start then we will take the self-satisfied smirks off their faces and show then what the hoops can do. It's one of those games that can determine a season and I'm really confident we can turn it around.


Written by Toby Boyle

Having rolled St Mary's earlier in the year with one of the last kicks of the day, the women's Seniors were under no illusions that the return bout with the Saints was going to be a tough encounter. A high octane first quarter saw the Saints rewarded for their forward pressure whilst the Oggettes wasted some opportunities at the other end. Far from outmatched and with Isy Currenti getting her hands on plenty of the ball, the Oggettes had every reason to believe the scoreboard could be leveled by half time.

It was however the Saints who kicked the only goal of the second quarter as both teams increased their physical presence at the contest. The Oggettes backline was making things difficult for St Mary's, lead by Amelia Cronin and Captain Libby Graham. The usually defensive minded Lily Burt and Georgia Edwards took the opportunity to play with more freedom, providing plenty of run and options from the back half. The 23 point St Mary's lead at the half failed to show just how even the match was.

The Oggettes came out firing in the third term narrowly reducing the margin via a long range set shot from Steph Hird. Sharni Godfrey got busy in the middle with help from Isy and Amelia and the tide was starting to shift in favour of the Oggettes before the three-quarter time break allowed St Mary's to reset and finally break the game open late in the final quarter, eventually running out 40 point winners. 

Like the Reserves match, the Seniors left Ferndale Park still in good spirits, still in good form and now equipped with knowledge of areas for improvement heading into the final five rounds.


Written by Tim Breadmore

It was an icy cold Saturday when Old Geelong’s mighty Reserves arrived at Gordan Barnard Reserve to battle against Old Camberwell. With one team sitting on eight wins and one loss and the other on five wins and four losses it was a must-win game for Old Camberwell if they wanted to get their hands on Premiership chocolates.

We knew that Old Camberwell would not have forgotten their 82 point loss in Round Four and with the home ground advantage they came out ready for blood. Harry “not today thanks” Gubbins decided that the weather was indeed too cold for his sensitive skin and was ruled out of the rest of the game around 1 minute and 49 seconds into the first quarter (rumour has it he had a 12:00pm manicure that he just could not cancel again). James ‘Lanks’ Browning decided that he wanted to test out his new dancing shoes, shimmering around opponents as if they were witches hats and racking up a hefty sack of dream team points.

Before we knew it half time had come and Old Camberwell were scratching their heads and beginning to ask themselves some serious questions. Thanks to Nick ‘The General’ Neeson’s iron fist and Chris ‘I’ll get the next round' Gubbins silky smooth play through the back line Old Camberwell were kept scoreless.

At the other end of Gordan Barnard Reserve goals were coming in from every angle, even an angle that I did not know existed. Shaggy ‘please don’t go to Europe’ Tivendale booted a goal that left the massive crowd of about seven people speechless and the only question left is how much money we need to give Shaggy for him not to go to Europe. I will leave the link to the Kickstarter page below.

In the end, Old Geelong was too strong for Old Camberwell and with the goal kickers list longer than Nick Abbot's football career the final result was 10.16-76 to 4.4-28. Next week’s game will have us back to Como to face up against the top of the table Fitzroy.


Written by Toby Boyle

An improved and hungry St Mary's Reserves outfit stole the jump on the OGs women's Reserves in the midday show. With a clear system in place to handball back, the Saints piled on the pressure in the first half. The persistence of Tess Lawless and Alice Long held off St Mary's before the Saints eventually broke the deadlock slotting the lone goal of the half. 

The Oggettes returned after half time determined to create some scoreboard pressure but despite an improved output and plenty of desperation, St Mary's refused to let us in. Keeley Murrihy and Olivia Williamson were like salt and pepper (in everything) and did their absolute best to drag the Oggettes across the line, whilst Phoebe Chirnside was plucking every kick that came her way in a great exhibition of playing key forward. 

An early last quarter goal to Georgia Cerutti gave the girls a glimmer of hope to steal the match but the St Mary's girls were determined to inflict the Oggettes' first defeat of the year. An unlucky day for the girls who battled on and played some good footy for large periods and will take a lot of lessons from the match.


Written by Rob Officer

It was a strange feeling arriving at Lady Como in a light array of sunshine after fully preparing the night before for what was expected to be an intense battle of amateur water polo. Even more confusing was the midday start time, the chance to consume some breakfast prior to the spectacle and for once the Unders taking the moisture off the beautiful lady for the mighty Thirds.

An intense battle unfolded early with the OGs winning the early clearances and putting on some serious pressure, taking the visitors by surprise and finally getting off to a start we know we are capable of after some slow starts in previous weeks. It didn’t take long for the boys to hit the scoreboard and excitement levels were high. PEGS then hit back and we could tell we were in for a tight tussle all day.

Cam ‘Party’ Sherwin was working extremely hard as usual and dominating the ruck which was really helping the lads in the guts get first use. Conditions were great for footy and Josh ‘Taxi to the Rat’ Gilbert was making the most of it, racking in the possessions, and unfortunately Pots did ‘the other string’ and his day was done and dusted. As we headed to the break Jimmy ‘Crim’ Cave had to evacuate to hospital with leather poisoning, his single half cameo his first game time in quite some time, showing that his time away from the game hadn’t altered his ability in the slightest.

The OGs managed to run riot in the third after the great man Toby urged us to not drop off and show them that Lady Como is in fact; OUR Lady. We pushed the lead out above 30 points and looked to try and secure a spot in the top four for the first time this year.

The final quarter came and PEGs were getting a run on, kicking a few goals against the flow of the game as the wind picked up their way and the weather appeared to be closing in. Poor Gilbo got a bit of his own back and took a nasty hit while fellow mid fielder Offie began to run out of legs – only to miraculously return to the forward line from a spell with the physio and a workout from Rhett ‘12ForTwelve’ Nicholas to bag two match defining goals, limping around in celebration.

Special mention to Toshie who is the only player of 66 to play every game for the Thirds this year and they have all been very good ones. A special mention must also go to all those who helped out showing that you require a team effort to help the Thirds achieve their best footy. Getting water delivered is amazing for an old bloke like me.

Truck managed to have his post-game speech typed up and printed – showing similar speed and agility to his on field performance as he put tears in the eyes of the victors post song with an emotional goodbye as he heads off on his five week pilgrimage across the red center of this great land. I cannot confirm as I don’t have a Guiness Book of Records at hand, but surely typing and printing a post-match speech as well as shaking hands with the opponents and umpires prior to making it to the rooms must be finding its way in there.

Also thanks to the Club, Gussy and Cathie Kemp for getting behind us and putting on a BBQ at Como Park to bring the boys together. It is greatly appreciated to feel appreciated and receive support and opportunities like that post game.


Written by Toby Boyle

Getting the triple header at Ferndale Park off and running were the women's Thirds who boasted four Oggette debutants; Olivia Gleeson, Lotti Wyles, Xenia Clark and our Reserves Coach Robbie Stephen. Robbie started the match like a house on fire, slotting two early goals and setting up many other opportunities. 

A bone crunching tackle by the Reserves mentor left her opponent sore but unfortunately also left Robbie dazed with concussion. Down to just 14 players, the girls soldiered on with Erin StrongJudy McKay, Mia McMahon, Georgie Steggall and Sophie Joubert waxing possessions around the ground. Olivia Gleeson dominated the ruck and was ably supported by Izzy Sanchez, giving the mids first use all day.

By three-quarter time the girls had established a match winning lead with Allanah Leach kicking her first goal for the hoops. The odd ball moment was provided by Oggettes forward live wire Zoe Watson who managed to get hers and her opponents shoelaces caught up in a contest, leaving both players tangled on the ground!

Despite being outnumbered by four players and with no interchange, the women's Thirds racked up win number three this year in a great team effort!


Report Unavailable


Share us on Facebook              Share us on Google +       View our linked in page