News » Match Reports: Round 1 2018

Match Reports: Round 1 2018

Match Reports: Round 1 2018

Written by Jon Anderson

Never has the Club run so deep, never has there been more competition for spots. That intensifies further from Round Three, with news that Tom Couch is available for three of the next four matches,.

Last year Marcellin (a side our Senior Coach Nick Bourke played over 200 games for) beat us twice and extremely convincingly the second time around, the Eagles eventually finishing third. In 2017 we lost our first two matches and it became a matter of catch-up from that time on, so in that sense Round One became an eight point game.

With six first gamers in Matt Bird, George Chisholm, Matt Corney, Joe Couch, Hugo Perry and Ed Long (and a few more to come) plus Jason Barry and Sandon James returning from 2016, the side was new and at times played accordingly as players got to know each other.

Captain Cal Wood kept presenting and was just too mobile for a talented opponent, Cal ending up with three goals and seeing his man moved off him. Hugo Perry played as was expected, extremely composed across half back with really good decision-making and skill execution.

Matt Corney tried to take the game on whenever possible by running and bouncing, a trait that appeals to our Senior Coach.

Matt Bird was clever, using the ball very well, Will Sloss typically prolific and hard across half back or in the ball, alike  The third quarter was highlighted by John Simson on a wing with eight kicks, three marks, two handballs and a goal, but more importantly every possession finding a teammate.

A special mention to Charlie Comben who was performing a typically disciplined role on a dangerous opponent before being ko'd in a really cowardly off the ball bump (for which the player received a three week suspension).


Written by Sass Le Lievre

The Oggettes headed down the highway on Saturday to see what Monash facilities looked like in daylight and above 0 temperatures, and to also kick off the Round One of the 2018 season. After beating Monash twice last year and witnessing the red hot performance by our Reserves (so hot that it set off the fire alarm), the Oggettes were quietly confident for the first game back.

The speed of the Oggettes saw us get rewarded with goals to Lucy “there’s no such thing as off season” Gubbins and Vicky “there’s too many nicknames to choose from” Tan in the first quarter, giving us an early lead of 15-0.

Monash lifted in the second quarter, turning up the intensity and bringing the competition back to us with two goals and closing the gap to 16 – 13. With the ball staying mostly in Monash’s half throughout the middle of the game, our mids pre-season training was really put to the test with best on ground performances by Sharni “did I even come off that quarter?” Godfrey, Kath “take me off I’m” Dunn, Lucy “furphy” Firth and Amelia “drop the shoulder” Cronin who all worked tirelessly to move the ball up front. Keeping us scoreless in the third quarter and with two more goals to their name, Monash had the lead going into the last quarter with 16 - 28.

A massive effort from our defensive line lead by Ally “everyone get around the club house” Kirkwood meant we were able to shut out Monash and keep them scoreless for the last 20 minutes with the final siren showing a score of 17 - 28 to Monash.

With six new players joining the Seniors, and a 117-0 win by our Reserves, the Oggettes opening round performance has given a glimpse into the strength and depth of our promising side for 2018.

Round Two will see the Oggettes take on 2017 Premiers St Mary’s Salesian at home in the much anticipated and world first ‘Oggettes Triple Header’ at Lady Como #getaroundus.

With the Seniors game not finishing until just before 6pm, special mention must go to the determined Oggettes who were so dedicated to their recovery, they managed to get home and back to the clubhouse by 7pm to rehydrate.


Written by Jon Anderson

With Senior Coach Nick Bourke and injured senior player John Reed in control, an exciting line-up of potential senior players took on the Marcellin Eagles. So the expectations of the Reserves have changed and hopefully will result in a winning unit constantly providing players ready to step into senior action.

At times the Reserves played accordingly and at others they lacked leadership and run. When the run came, often through brothers Jack and Sam Anderson, the side looked capable of tearing Marcellin apart. But we failed to convert enough up forward, missing too many marking opportunities in the front half.

That will change although Joe Kemp and Jono Thomson both kept presenting, with the latter kicking a massive goal in the last quarter. Up the other end Chris Gubbins had been unusually quiet but when it mattered in a tense last quarter he was often the difference between the teams, proving once again how you are never out of the game.

Harry Sleigh at centre half back is one of those undersold players who provides a consistent contest, while Will Griffiths in the ruck showed some serious promise from a senior point of view after eighteen months out following an ankle reconstruction.

Andy De Fegely was another who deserves credit for constantly putting his head over the ball and leading the way in contested ball. First gamer Charlie Crozier showed enough to suggest his versatility will be extremely useful this year.


Written by Georgie Steggall

The Oggetts Reserves put on a dominate display on Saturday to come away with a massive 117-point victory over Monash Blues. The girls dictated the play across the field preventing Monash from scoring. With many girls playing their first game of footy for Old Geelong, and Coach Robbie Stephen taking the helm for the first time, the win is testament to the depth of the squad and the effort that was put in during preseason.

The Oggettes midfield and attack controlled the ball for most of the game and recorded ten different goal scorers. Pressure around the ball was terrific as was the defensive pressure with the girls laying strong tackles and shepards which allowed quick ball movement. The defence put on a strong performance as well making it difficult for Monash to enter their forward 50. Imogen Scott, on her debut, was prolific and Annabelle Richards put on an impressive performance scoring three goals and taking out the accolades for Best on Ground. Gemma Sullivan and Georgie Steggall both donned Monash jumpers in the final quarter to help out an undermanned Monash squad.


Written by Justin 'Slogs' Logan

Round One is a truly all-encompassing sensory experience. The early morning dew blanketing the turf, the smell of freshly opened merch on deep-heat and that touch of hand on fresh leather is a nostalgic throwback to six months earlier. Add in the donning of hoops, and you’ve got yourself a fine Saturday morning indeed.

Our first-up opponent was the highly rated St Bernard’s at their home deck. They were a rather aggressive bunch, with Rage Against the Machine radio reverberating through the walls of the change rooms to pump themselves up. And whilst the OGs certainly weren’t reaching out for the yoga mats, we were confident that calmer heads could prevail on the day. As it turned out, St Bernard’s drew first blood and pretty quickly I might add. But the OGs returned serve to even the ledger and even extending the lead with help from the likes of Cam "Six Snags" Thorpe to go into quarter time with a handy buffer. 

The defence held strong in the second quarter, withstanding a St Bernard’s onslaught. Anthony Tripodi was off like a fish milkshake at just about every stoppage for the day, which demoralised the St Bernard’s midfield. Newcomer, Don “Is Don Is Good’ Nixon was taking care of the admin at the bottom of the packs whilst James “Financial” Planner provided sound run on the outside. It was a see-sawing affair for the first half, but the OGs proved to be the heavier of the two sides thus earning a nice lead heading into the rooms.

Coach Blatchford served up a tasty dish of positive reinforcement as the OGs charged out on the ground in a similar fashion to the first half. A strategic masterstroke saw midfielder come forward Mark “Mel” Bourne easily dispose of his opponent to slot a crucial goal that stung the hearts of the St Bernard’s faithful. However, it was an event unprecedented in OGs football that nobody saw coming that ultimately turned the tide in the favour of our opponent. Watching a central umpire being stretchered off the ground will linger in memory of many who witnessed it after a suspected torn quad saw our umpire exit the game and enter the emergency department. After a brief intermission, the play resumed and not even the heroics of Zach Carrol and former US college footballer Graham “Ripper” Ripetto (who vowed to “Make The Thirds Great Again”), couldn’t stem the flow coming from St Bernard’s.

The final quarter saw it go down to the wire as both clubs traded blows with thrilling feats of skill and execution that is not always associated with the this level of football. Victory was in sight for the OGs, but to St Bernard’s credit it was not to be. Their midfield run proved too much for our boys and the stark realisation of football mortality had sunk in, going down by four points (101 – 97). But it could be worse, as Old Ivanhoe Grammarians failed to register a score against our upcoming opponent Old Camberwell Grammarians, who we face on Saturday on the marvellous Lady Como. Be sure to bring the support this week as we bring our own Rage Against the Machine Radio.


Written by Hugh Coltman

The boys were fired up for their first game and came out firing in the first half.

The first quarter was a hard fought contest between two evenly matched sides. P. Hatzoglou had an exciting start to his first game snapping a very classy goal and shrugging off opponents with ease. We narrowly lead into the first break with a few minor issues holding us back.

The second quarter saw another even battle between the two teams. The attack on the ball and willingness was all there but some small skill errors cost us a few turnovers resulting in a score for the opposition. A few missed shots down our end also cost us a bigger lead going into the major break.

The third quarter saw a couple of players go down with injuries. We only had one left on the bench but that didn’t stop the boys “whacking in” and giving their all. We kept the narrow margin going into the final break.

The final quarter was a guide of what needs to be done at training. Injuries and fitness really took a toll on the team as the fitter Ivanhoe side kicked away and resulted in them taking home the points.

The boys were upset but now know what needs to be done. We will come back better for next week and hit the training track hard during the week.

Share us on Facebook              Share us on Google +       View our linked in page