News » Match Reports: Female silverware for the OGs!!

Match Reports: Female silverware for the OGs!!

Match Reports: Female silverware for the OGs!!

Written by George Chisholm

We changed from warm rugs on the bench at Old Scotch to bags of ice to keep us cool on a sunny 17-degree day at Gerry Green Reserve.

Traveling down the Nepean Highway the boys all knew how big of a game this contest would be to stay in Premier B for 2020.

Parkdale started strong in the first quarter but inaccurate kicking kept it to a ten point lead at the first break.

The lead barely changed going into half time as it was a goal for goal battle with both teams kicking four majors in the second quarter to go into half time eleven points down.

A rev up speech from Nick Bourke was much needed as the OGs came out and dominated possession in the third quarter but kicking 2.9 to Parkdale’s 3.1 meant we went into the last quarter nine points down.

John Simson as usual fought hard all day and Hugh Fitzpatrick kicked much-needed goals to really rev the boys up to try and steal a come from behind win.

Unfortunately Parkdale had the legs to keep up and would answer back to whatever we threw at them. Ultimately when the final siren sounded Old Geelong were down by 26 points. Not getting the four points against Parkdale does not mean we’re out of the race to stay in Premier B. Getting the win this weekend against St Beeds keeps our chances alive.


Written by Sandon James

In a game that was life or death for the men's Reserves Finals Series, a fearless pack of 22 men, one coach (Colby ‘Footy Factory’ O'Brien) and one magnet boy (Jason ‘geriatric’ Barry) made the journey down the Nepean Highway to take on the Parkdale Vultures. As per usual, Jack ‘Stretch King’ Kerr made sure the team was limber and an inspirational pre-game speech from skipper Andy ‘in and under’ Leahy had the team fired up and raring to go.

Nick ‘hot pies’ Morwood and Ed ‘cement hips’ Ratcliffe came bursting out of the blocks, winning plenty of hard ball in what was a fiercely contested first quarter. Thanks to straight kicking from Joe ‘inspector gadget’ Kemp and Liam ‘tall small forward’ Higgins, the mighty OGs managed to go into the quarter break with an eleven point lead.

In the second quarter the game started to open up with Ben ’60 minutes strapping required’ Seamer and Harris ‘intecept mark’ McDonald leading the way, rebounding from the back line and finding the likes of Xav ‘tall timber’ Blackley across half forward.

Heading into the Premiership quarter the OGs were 13 points up and charged out onto the field ready for battle. The footy was once again hotter than Rupert ‘session lord’ Kemp on the dance floor at Arcadia but thanks to the calm and cool head of Rupert ‘overly large knees’ De Crepsigny, the OGs started to switch and run the ball, providing ample space for Joe ‘septum’ Griffiths to lead into and small pocket rocket forwards Tom ‘I love snags’ Wilson and Sam ‘tackle fever’ Clements to do what they do best – kick sausages. As the third quarter sounded, the OGs had managed to keep Parkdale at bay, taking a 19 point lead into the final quarter.

Going into the last quarter, all 36 men on the field could sense how important the first goal would be, arguably this would decide the game. Five minutes into the quarter and no teams had managed to score, creating a playing environment akin to a Grand Final. Thankfully Joe ‘Full Forward and Ruck’ Kemp managed to get a clean tap out of the ruck in front of Sandon ‘Big Bustling’ James who snapped a 45m goal from the boundary to put the OGs 30 points in front. As the siren sounded, the mighty OGs walked away with a 42 point win, taking the four points and more importantly, kept finals hopes alive.

The OGs will now take on take on St Bedes/Mentone at Lady Como in what is another must win if the magoos wish to play footy in September. I encourage all supporters to come along and support the club in what is a massive weekend for the OGs.


Written by Georgia Rule and Tilly Arthur

In trying conditions the Oggettes triumphed, bringing home the first of many women’s silverware for the club!!

Another windy Grand Final day had the Oggettes on edge as they arrived at Mentone Playing Fields, but it was going to take more than wind to derail the Oggettes this year. They were ready to go into battle and take on Old Xaverians till the very last minute.

With the Old Geelong army rolling in numbers the support was going to fuel the Oggettes even more. A ripper goal from Bell Richards in a toughly fought first quarter saw us head into quarter time with a six point lead. Jas Andros was bulldozing the midfield being impossible to tackle.

With the wind in our favour the Oggettes came out firing in the second. It was the Vicky Tan show in the forward line that stole the day and hearts of fans around the ground, adding two goals to the board to keep us ahead going into half time. She was unstoppable and the army were getting right behind her every time she touched the ball.

The mids battled it out all day, led by Helen Salter, who had her work cut out, up against a sizable Old Xavs ruck. Ursi Van Dyk, Phoebe Ulrick and Erin Strong provided plenty of speed on the wings whilst Lizzie Slattery battled a double tag all day but that still wasn’t enough to stop her. Caroline Edwards and Libby Graham kept the Oggettes defensive wall strong and tight.

The Old Xavs forward line had opted to oil themselves up for the big day, however this was no match for the OGs backline who systematically shut down each forward entry as the wind also contributed to inaccuracy in front of goal.

It was a nerve racking fourth quarter down in the backline, with Old Xavs slotting their second goal early on and a few Oggettes cramping up simultaneously it gave Old Xavs a chance to have a sniff at goals BUT The Vicky Tan show was not done yet, adding another goal to seal the game and earning herself a well-deserved Best On Ground.

A massive thank you to our coaches Tilly Arthur, Emme Richardson, Sam Godard and Toby Boyle, team manager and No. 1 supporter Nick Edwards (currently watching the replay for the hundredth time poolside in Hawaii). Also to Georgia Rule who lead the OGs all season spectacularly and earned her title of a Premiership Captain. To everyone who came to cheer us on, the crowd was unreal and all the players will never forget such an amazing experience. Bring on 2020 and a back to back Premiership!


Written by Toby Blatchford

With third place on the ladder already locked away the men's Thirds graced Lady Como for what was at the time our last in season 2019. The possibility of pipping second position was still a prospect and key focus for the lads however another forfeit in a game outside of our control put that to bed.

The game itself started off slowly with Mazenod kicking away 3.1.19 in the first however the OGs boys were up for the challenge and quickly replied with 3.3-21 in the later part of term. Coach Blatchford was less than impressed with another slow out of the blocks start and rallied the boys to “get their s*!t in order” before the finals kick off. The message seemed to have resonated with Mazenod only managing to score another 1.5.11 for the remainder of the game.

The engine room lifted with a 1-2 punch and first use coming for Lack and Walsh. At their feet the likes of Orford, Kinsman and McKay got to work and pushed the ball out to Hanlon, Medina and Peacock on the wings. In the forward line Blond and Goodwin put in another solid effort kicking three goals each and were supported by singles to Johnson and McNab.

Our lads down back stood tall again with Gist, Sleigh and Carroll holding down the fort and allowing Perry and Potter to sneak forward for a well-deserved goal. Chris “clearly the better” Gubbins and Oli Le Lievre were linking up all over the ground and were clear standouts.

It was also wonderful to have many family members and friends in attendance for the match and a particular call out to the girls and now premiers from the Oggettes who came down to support and cheer us on a day before claiming their flag.

Post match as a celebration of making the finals and in a last-ditch attempt to teach the boys how to be more physical coach Blatchford arranged twenty free tickets and took the team to AAMI Park to watch the Melbourne Storm. There are unconfirmed reports of the team attending Swan St venues after the match.

Our first final is confirmed at 4:45pm this Saturday after the men's Seniors at Como Park in what is going to be a massive day for our club. We look forward to welcoming family and friends to watch us go head to head in our clash with Old Xavs.


Report Unavailable

Share us on Facebook              Share us on Google +       View our linked in page