The Old Geelong Football Club was formed in early 1954 as the Old Geelong Grammarians Football Club, playing its first game in the Victorian Amateur Football Association's newly created E Section on 24 April of that year.
It enjoyed early success as runners-up in 1955, and Premierships in D and C Sections in 1956 and 1957 respectively. In its inaugural year, the Club used a ground at Yarra Park “…we were allocated an oval at Fairfield by the V.A.F.A with a changing room with no shower. If we wanted to get rid of our sweat the only option was to jump into the adjacent Yarra River.”
It then moved to the small St Kevins No 2 ground for seasons 1955-1958. In 1959 it transferred to a larger ground in Burnley, and after a couple of years there , was fortunate to secure the use of Como Park, South Yarra, where it has been based ever since.
Initially the Club fielded just one side, but in 1963 a Reserves team was formed (in line with a similar progression throughout the VAFA) and in 1966 both teams won Premierships. From that time, despite a number of finals appearances, there was a premiership drought which continued through until 1988 (Reserves) and 1990 (both teams).
At the end of 1973, in recognition of a major change in the membership of the Club, with a significant number of Old Geelong Collegians in particular having joined it in recent seasons, the name of the Club was changed to the Old Geelong Football Club. Whilst the Club endeavours to recruit from and retain close connections with both Geelong schools we welcome and actively encourage players from all sources.
The 1990s saw the establishment of an Under 19 side which lasted for some five seasons before inadequate numbers caused it to fold. It was subsequently revived on a number of occasions in the late 2000s and 2010s, depending on the number of players available.
After a number of years in the 1990s and early 2000s, during which the Club’s fortunes fluctuated greatly, success was tasted again in 2005 with two premiership wins, for the Reserves and Firsts.
From 2006 through until and including 2016 the Club enjoyed a considerable level of success with its re-established Under 19s (two premierships), Reserves (three premierships) and Club 18 (two premierships) teams, but equally the Firsts encountered disappointment in a number of Preliminary Finals.
Our aim today, some 63 years since our formation, is to continue to build on the solid foundations of those who have come before us, and ensure the traditions of our proud Club remain strong. Our objective is to strengthen the Club, to be a responsible member of the local community, and to provide an environment that allows a truly enjoyable VAFA football experience for all those who play for or support the Oggers.
In 2018, the Old Geelong Football Club will play in Premier C section of the VAF and will field four men's teams (Seniors, Reserves, Under 19s and Club XVIII) and two women's teams (Seniors and Reserves).
We aim to be the most competitive team on and off the field. We want to be a club that players, supporters and the community can be proud to say they are affiliated with; a club that demonstrates our values with distinction and holds each other accountable with quality leadership.
Here we are the Oggers,
Now we’re on the road to victory!
We’ll do ‘em all around,
At home or any ground,
If you’ll only give us a fair and honest go. So!
1, 2, 3, the Ogger boys are we
4, 5, 6, we’ve got ‘em in a fix
7, 8, 9, we’ll do ‘em every time
It’ll be a hot time in the old town tonight!
HOME GROUND - COMO PARK
Our home ground is Como Park, known as “Como” or “Lady Como”. Como Park provides a range of uses for the community and Old Geelong has been a tenant for over 50 years. It is one of the great parklands and ovals of Melbourne and particularly the VAFA.
The facilities of Como have improved significantly in the last couple of years with drainage, slightly upgraded lighting, and refurbished change rooms. The Stonnington City Council and our Club are all involved in trying to make the facility even better, together with the summer hirers, the South Yarra Cricket Club.
Our Capital Works plan includes a further lighting upgrade and electronic scoreboard. We are also looking to extend the facility with an upgraded kitchen. We rely on donations and fundraising to enable us to progress these plans. For more detail on how to donate, CLICK HERE.