News » Match Reports: Round 15 #2 2017

Match Reports: Round 15 #2 2017

Match Reports: Round 15 #2 2017

Seniors – from Hugh Coltman


Old Geelong arrived at Como with finals in sight and a bit of momentum coming from previous games. Conditions were good for footy and we were looking good in the warm-up. the first quarter began and the OGGs were all over it like seagulls at a beach but our accuracy was not up to scratch kicking 1 goal 6 points, gifting the visitors the lead going into the first break.

Nick Bourke gave the boys a well-needed spray at half time which seemed to work as the OGGs kicked a few quick goals which bought them to within 4 points in the 3rd quarter but a couple of quick goals from Camberwell against the flow saw them take the margin out again going into the final break.

Nick Mason played a pivotal role down back earning himself BOG and 6 froffys. Jock Grimshaw was clunking them from all areas of the ground and George Burbury was a bulldog as usual. 

Poor accuracy was the story of the day for the OGGs and the visitors were able to finish when they could and managed to run home 16 point victors, leaving the OGGs with a lot of work to do in the next 3 weeks.


Reserves – from Ben Millar

It was a day to forget for the reserves side on Saturday with a very poor performance against a fellow finals aspirant.

5 shots on goal to 1 in the opening quarter gave us just a 4-point lead at the first break due to inaccuracy which continues to hurt our starts to games. Chris ‘stretch’ Gubbins and Alex ‘I’ll keep phoning in my training apologies, Whatsapp is a bit hi-tech for a farmer’ Herd fought valiantly to keep Old Camberwell out and generate some run from the backline.

At times throughout the middle period of the game it felt like the OG’s were starting to take control but some simple lapses in concentration allowed OCG to keep scoring and subsequently be just 2 goals down at the final change of ends. Dave ‘hair up, socks down’ Andrew and Sam ‘auditioning for Hoofs spot’ Youngman did a great job in the front half of the ground which gave us confidence moving into the final quarter.

The last 25 minutes was some of the worst football this group has played for year, allowing 7.1 to be kicked, whilst adding just 3 points of our own to go down by 28 points in the end. This game serves as a timely reality check and hopefully the kick start we need for the run to finals.

A quick thanks to the Thirds following their final game. Despite not achieving the same success as last season the numbers at training have been solid all year and been of great assistance to the reserves.


Thirds – from Rhett Nicholas

On a reasonably cloudy morning, it looked that the heavens would fall and it would be a rare day of rain out in Balwyn. Upon arriving to the postage stamp that was to be our field, the sun popped it’s head out and the Mighty Three’s felt this could well be the nod from above that today was going to be a corker.

With Ed “I updated my Tinder after winning a rowing world championship” Manton called up to the twos within minutes of arriving at the game and Alex “I shouldn’t have had that Korean” Forman feeling unwell, two down before bounce down never helps, but fortunately to the organisation and keen-ness of the boys, no one had even noticed as we got on with all the pre-game.

First quarter saw us draw firsts blood, but Kew had other ideas and were prepared to rain on our parade. Kicking extremely straight, they even had a few goal posts bent just enough to get awarded a goal or two, home ground advantage to say the least. Josh “Coleman” Archer licked his lips at the size of the ground and made his presence felt by kicking a lazy 5 for the day.

Going into half time 21 points down we needed to rally, but fortunately a stroke of coaching genius from Jimmy “Part Time Magnet Mover” Cave to put Marty “Springs for Legs” Liekefette in the ruck proved the difference in the second half. Having both Will “Smasher” Haslam and Justin “Slogs” Logan at half back proved to be the wall we required to keep Kew to 3 majors for the half.

As we reached into the final quarter, it was a huge tussle and with the luck of North Melbourne in previous close encounters, we knew we had to find something else. Kicking into the breeze, Hammer “Europe was great boys, just check out my tan” Macmillan took a clutch mark to go back and slot what proved to be the difference for the day. With 30 seconds to go and not much left in the tank the boys dug even deeper to not let Kew concede a final goal. A fantastic end to a tough year, but made singing the song all the more worth it!

As we close out for 2017, I would like to make a few key mentions. Firstly, thank you to all the volunteers, sports trainers, umpires and parents who have shown up and helped us get games happening, without you we wouldn’t be out there doing what we love.

Thank you Adam “Lefty” Wright, for running a tight ship on training nights and for the support throughout the year, however not always appreciating the phone calls on a Friday night telling me I am losing 2 blokes! I’d also like to thank the Senior coaching staff and club for the support throughout the year, it’s kept us ticking along knowing you were showing interest.

To the extended Coaching staff of the Three’s, Jimmy Cave, Nick Simpson and Rob Officer, if it wasn’t for you guys, we wouldn’t have ticked the team along like we did this year, it’s a testament to you boys to help me get 24 blokes on the park each week. Next year we might actually know what we are doing.

Finally, to the 61 different Thirds players we had this year, Thank you. 2017 was made all the worthwhile knowing that everyone was there to play footy and wanted to be there. 24 blokes wanting to kick the leather with their mates just typifies what Old Geelong is about and I know that we’ve set the foundations for next year. I look forward to the OGS Threes being a force to be reckoned with in the coming years.

OGwards and Upwards

Rhett “Can’t Coach” Nicholas.

Share us on Facebook              Share us on Google +       View our linked in page