Faces Around the Club: Volunteer Umpires
The Club is required to provide one central umpires for all our Club 18 home games and all our Reserves games, and we suspect the many younger readers will not know anything of the illustrious careers with the OGFC of two of the people often seen in this role.
Davo (pictured above) currently helps out as Clubbies central umpire, and has been around the Club for many years.
- He played nearly 150 games for the Club, mainly in the 1990s.
- He was a member of the Reserves Premiership team of 1990 and Best Player in our finals.
- Best Clubman 1992 and 2001, member of Committee 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007
- In charge of club canteen at Como for a number of years
- Since he retired he has done a lot of Central Umpiring for the Reserves and the Club 18, whilst often boundary umpiring as well to make it two games on the same day
- He is married to Emma and is part of the Club’s sponsorship empire Emma & Tom’s
- He is one of seven people connected with the Club over the years to have received a VAFA’s Certificate of Merit for outstanding and meritorious service to Amateur Football.
- One day he will be able to save up enough money to buy himself some proper umpiring socks.
Matt helps out as the Reserves central umpire, and has been doing this job for quite a number of seasons, despite a calf sprain last year threatening to put an end to his career. He played 57 games for the Club in the 1990s, nearly all in the Firsts. Matt is pictured below watching on after tossing the ball up in a Reserves match this year.